Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

No idea how many weeks I am. What will midwife do?

(15 Posts)
Andbabymakesthree Sun 01-May-16 06:38:33

Trying to conceive for ages but I had issues with irregular heavy bleeding, pain and blood tests showed not ovulating. Even had a diagnostic laparoscopy in Dec with no obvious causes.

A couple of Saturdays ago (16th april) I was out in day time with friends having a lovely childfree day. Realised that I was weeing lots and boobs were sore. Pregnancy crossed my mind but soon back to reality of running around after children and didn't do a test until last Sunday. Positive quite quickly. Made the fact that I've been shattered recently and in bed very early understandable!

Saw GP ( got other health issues and concerned about pregnancy impact) Repeated pregnancy test. Took a while to come up but positive.

Referred to midwife. GP understood that I'd have no idea how pregnant I was.

Of course the not knowing is driving me insane. Could be 5 weeks. Could be much more. I've been suffering from awful heartburn but I get that anyway when stressed. However normally it's a day then goes. This has been at least the past fortnight.

Any suggestions? Wait for midwife to contact me. Leave message for her to call me and try and get her to refer to scan based on unknown dates? I'd like to get nuchal fold scan done within correct timescale.

RNBrie Sun 01-May-16 06:43:32

Yes, call on Tues and ask what the waiting time is for your booking in appt. Midwife should refer you for a dating scan. Or if you have a spare £100 then go and have a private one, you can probably get an appt for Tues or Weds if you live near a big city!

Andbabymakesthree Sun 01-May-16 06:50:19

The midwives around here only have an answer machine which from last pregnancy I never got called back from. Very annoying. I could ring the birthing centres and speak to them as they coordinate care (answer phone in their office) and hope I don't annoy them.

I looked up private scans. One small studio does the but only from 7 wks. Of course I don't know if I'm 7wks plus so can't really do it.

Been googling symptoms and they say frequent urination starts about 6 weeks..... Not sure if right or not.

pearlylum Sun 01-May-16 06:50:27

Don't panic.

Same thing happened to me. I had very odd cycles, only had a period once or twice a year. It was my OH who felt differences in my body, swollen boobs etc and a pregnancy test was positive.
I went to GP and she was able to arrange a dating scan for the next day- turned out I was 13 weeks pregnant!
All turned out well and baby was healthy.

You will be fast tracked through the system because of your history.

Andbabymakesthree Sun 01-May-16 06:55:23

Thank you both. You've reassured me that my expectation of a bit of fast tracking isn't too unreasonable.

When I booked in with midwives i thought I'd need to do a form. Receptionist didn't know what to do so asked a colleague. Name put in book for Midwife to contact me. She kept asking about date of period and how many weeks even though I'd explained I had no idea and why. Even GP didn't know I said yet still she kept asking. I'm don't think she got it and I kept saying can you make sure midwife knows I have no idea.

Andbabymakesthree Sun 01-May-16 06:56:15

Pearlylum. I'd love to be 13wks and over first trimester. Were you really shocked!

pearlylum Sun 01-May-16 07:02:55

Very shocked.

I had only been with my partner for 5 months. I had investigations regarding my lack of periods over the years ( including surgery) I had been told by my consultant that I had a hormonal problem, nothing wrong physically, but if I ever wanted to conceive to come back as I would need hormone treatment.
So I was very lax with contraception.
And a big surprise to find out I was pregnant. Yes a shock. But happy to say that my little boy is now 18 years old, followed by his sister, and OH and I are happier than ever.

Spottyladybird Sun 01-May-16 07:09:21

Your GP should arrange an early scan for you. This happened to me and to a friend of mine.

At mine I had to go back for a second scan two weeks later as they weren't sure at the first as I was only 5+5.

skankingpiglet Sun 01-May-16 07:47:51

This happened with my DD. I had been having irregular periods for some months, we had had a contraceptive failure but owing to a number of things had thought pregnancy was incredibly unlikely and had put it out of our minds (blush I know. We're usually pretty responsible and are definitely old enough to know better). Fast forward a number of weeks and I had all these weird 'symptoms', I genuinely thought I had something seriously wrong with me! I took a test before going to see my GP as I knew they'd ask as a matter of course. The line came up instantly and very darkly, but I was so convinced it was going to be neg I had to check the packaging as I had been under the impression it was one line for 'not pregnant' not two... d'oh.
We used my GP appointment to tell her I was up the duff rather than ill grin She referred me to the midwife passing on the information I hadn't had a period for several months but conception had most likely occurred around X date, as DH and I realised it could only have happened that one night. The midwife came to do my booking appointment within a week and a half (much more quickly than this time when I waited 6wks), and got me in for a dating scan the following week as she was concerned about the months of no periods. I was just shy of 11wks so it had been the date we thought. I think when you don't know how far along you might be they tend to pull their finger out to get you into the system and dated as there are some tests which if you want need to be done in a certain time window. Hopefully you won't have to wait long smile

On the upside I now believe those women on crap daytime TV who say they only had unprotected sex once and got pregnant. Sounds ridiculous as I always knew it was possible, just assumed it was highly improbable. Turns out it most definitely can and does happen, who would have thunk it? grin this has been further reinforced by falling pregnant this time after 6wks of 'trying' but only DTD 3 times

Andbabymakesthree Sun 01-May-16 09:53:32

Two big surprises on here. Wow.

Definitely need to call midwife then. I'm so impatient too!

RNBrie Sun 01-May-16 09:59:41

All the private places say from 7 weeks, but that's only because they don't want to have to deal with a "no heartbeat yet, come back in a week" scenario. I'd just book it and say when you get there that you're not sure of the dates. But then I am extremely impatient and wouldn't want to wait for an NHS dating scan grin

I booked in with my midwife and told her if not had a period since I conceived my DD so she booked me for an urgent scan (though I said I was either 7 or 10 weeks - we'd only dtd twice since she was born, and the time before she was conceived!!). Had a scan when I was either 10 or 13 weeks. I was 10. Going back this week for my 12 week scan!

Andbabymakesthree Sun 01-May-16 21:16:43

I'm extremely impatient too RNBrie but keep thinking that £100 could be well spend elsewhere! Cheapstake I am.

Good luck Little grey. Im ringing and leaving message on Tuesday.

MYA2016 Sun 01-May-16 23:56:50

I also had no idea as had periods once or twice a year. Me and hubby somehow caught in first month of deciding we wanted a baby, despite the fact I had an appointment for 8 weeks later to start fertility treatment!
I had absolutely no idea how far gone I was, had one day of nausea and a niggly feeling I was pregnant despite the odds being so low.
I got booked in at local hospital for the following week and then again for the week after that (no heartbeat on first scan as was too early).
I'm now lying next to my snoozing 3 month old.
Clearblue dating sticks turned out to be accurate with me have you tried them?
I also paid for a private scan at 9 weeks and it was money very well spent. Got loads of pics and advice as was run by midwives and highly trained sonographers, pics much clearer than nhs.
good luck and congratulations

Andbabymakesthree Mon 02-May-16 09:00:38

Mya2016 congratulations :-)

I haven't brought clear blue as know I'm already 5 weeks plus so they won't give me a clearer idea as that's the max they go up to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now