Talk

Advanced search

health and safety/risk assessments

(8 Posts)
ButtonsAndBows Thu 28-Apr-16 19:40:42

I am currently a student (but I guess this can be applied to work too) and I just told one of the head tutors I am pregnant. I study agriculture so I was tempted to keep it quiet as I'm 2 months from the end but then after a rough practical session (lifting sheep) I thought I should put my needs first. Anyway this was a week ago and no health and safety has been done. I don't want to tell all the staff so have been skiving off practical work until I know what is safe or not (lambing/tractor work/ etc etc and where I stand with it all. I have no idea what to do in the meantime or even if they have any duty towards me ... I did ask my tutor today but she said come back another time.

What should I do in this situation? I have practical assignments and assessments that are off site and am running out of time to complete them, but at the same time I am putting myself at needless risk as I don't even know what I HAVE to do for my course and what I can miss confused

sepa Thu 28-Apr-16 19:52:38

I would demand ask for a risk assessment to be completed. I'm sure your not supposed to be around sheep during lambing season (but only learnt this from emmerdale grin

Congratulations on your pregnancy

ButtonsAndBows Thu 28-Apr-16 19:57:15

I didn't ask but when I told the tutor (she's not my tutor but she's one step above my course manager who wasn't in) she said my course manager/tutor will do one .... But it's not happening and college is still going on , so im in limbo

sepa Thu 28-Apr-16 20:07:45

Ask your direct tutor for one then. They are important and are carried out for a reason!
Pregnancy is exhausting so best to get the risk assessment sorted

Junosmum Thu 28-Apr-16 20:14:17

Avoid new born lambs and lambing ewes (farmers daughter) and insist on getting a risk assessment done. Keep a log of who you ask and when and put a request in in writing (email).

ButtonsAndBows Thu 28-Apr-16 20:34:21

I did directly ask my actual tutor today who said come another day. I'm so fed up. I just feel totally invisible (ongoing issue) and they always seem to sideline me and this is just the latest. I have to go off site to a dairy on Tuesday which I already missed last week waiting for the go ahead and I'm falling behind. Is there a timeframe which they should be done in?

lljkk Thu 28-Apr-16 20:48:54

You mustn't go near new lambs, sorry.

ButtonsAndBows Thu 28-Apr-16 20:54:15

That's the one I know about smile but everyone is wearing their placenta ridden overalls and boots into lessons too envyenvy

Trust me to get pregnant at lambing time. I can manage to not get crushed by a cow I think but I can't depend on my cohort to have basic hygiene

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now