Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

baby shower

(18 Posts)
alannahfritch Tue 26-Apr-16 20:54:09

My sil and best friend are adamant on me having a baby shower, I'm not sure and wondered what everyone's thought on them were?!

Mslg Tue 26-Apr-16 21:25:26

Don't like them. Find them very grabby and attention seeking. Went to one before and she had an online Mothercare list for what presents she wanted hmm

Seekingmiracles Tue 26-Apr-16 21:29:03

I hate the idea of present lists! It's tacky. I do however like the idea of getting all your friends together, eating cake and having a gossip etc!
I've been to loads - none have been over the top, all very laid back. Yes there were presents but it wasn't flashy about it.
I'd like one but in intent on no games, just a civilised get together to celebrate my incoming (and long awaited) arrival.?

MyKingdomForBrie Tue 26-Apr-16 21:36:40

We organised a party and games for our friend but the gifts were a home made cake and nappy cake and it was just our little group, I'd definitely not want more than that - it definitely wasn't a shower more of just a celebration of her pregnancy!

Showers are super tacky I think.

HP07 Tue 26-Apr-16 21:59:26

Maybe they just want to do something really nice for you? I think if someone else wants to arrange you one it must be because they want to show you how much they care. I think organising your own one might be a bit OTT and seem like you are just asking for presents.

smellsofelderberries Tue 26-Apr-16 22:11:54

I don't like them for the same reason everyone else here has said. My (American) SIL had a huge baby shower with a gift registry for her first and it was really cringe-worthy.

MYA2016 Tue 26-Apr-16 22:22:49

In was dead against baby showers but my friends were adamant. So we agreed on them coming to my house (about 8 friends and my mum and sister). We did afternoon tea and my mum and sis arranged a few games. I specifically asked everyone to not buy us gifts as it was near Xmas and I felt it all really grabby at what's already a very expensive time of year.
We did still get a few lovely presents and gift vouchers despite me saying we really didn't want anything at all, but then most of them spent the money when baby arrived.
This is what I find awkward about baby showers .. people spend a lot buying you presents but then when the baby arrives, they're not going to want to visit you without another gift! And I don't think it should be like that

MrsJoJo Tue 26-Apr-16 22:47:10

I'm totally anti-baby showers... Always thought they were tacky & didn't have one with DS, then my SIL had a still birth at term so now I'm too superstitious to even contribute to collections for colleagues going off on maternity leave. My colleagues know my reasons & I send congrats etc after their babies are here! I'll have to be quite firm with them when I go on Mat leave later this year as I don't want anything until I have a healthy babe in my arms.

MrsMelody Tue 26-Apr-16 23:26:36

I know what you mean I do like the idea of a get together and talk all stuff babies but I don't expect people to buy us gifts at all!!

hownottofuckup Tue 26-Apr-16 23:28:13

I think you're lucky anyone wants to throw you a baby shower, I've had 4 DC and never had one.
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth... Or something like that.

Junosmum Wed 27-Apr-16 07:52:36

I don't like them, find them a bit 'counting your chickens' would much rather a party once baby is safely here and a few weeks old.

shelbTa Wed 27-Apr-16 08:01:21

My group of friends and I have one in turn for each other - we don't see each other that often so see it as a good chance to catch up. We all put a tenner in for a gift, have some food (and fizz for those who can) and catchup. Really good time.

X

shelbTa Wed 27-Apr-16 08:01:32

My group of friends and I have one in turn for each other - we don't see each other that often so see it as a good chance to catch up. We all put a tenner in for a gift, have some food (and fizz for those who can) and catchup. Really good time.

X

meditrina Wed 27-Apr-16 08:07:48

"I know what you mean I do like the idea of a get together and talk all stuff babies but I don't expect people to buy us gifts at all!!"

That would be a pre-baby party then, not a shower (shower = shower with gifts) and it's confusing to apply the name of a specific type of gathering to something it's not.

MrsMelody Wed 27-Apr-16 10:48:22

Ill mention it to them to call it a pre baby gathering instead then maybe?!

seven201 Wed 27-Apr-16 18:32:39

I don't like the idea of them.

pulpi Wed 27-Apr-16 19:30:20

I'm Canadian (living in Scotland now) and baby showers are just part of the culture over there. They are not seen as grabby or crass. It's a chance for moms to get together and share advice, wisdom, horror stories, etc. And I'll be having one over here with all my expat and Scottish friends. In Canada, while some baby showers get out of hand with gifts (just like weddings, housewarmings, and birthdays - some folks just love getting/demanding big gifts), generally the moms buy one or two things that they found really useful for their own kids. Lots of Sophie the Giraffe given these days. And muslins. Because you can never have enough.

hownottofuckup Wed 27-Apr-16 21:38:15

I never got to grips with muslins, what are they for? Like washable napkins?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now