Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

5 weeks pregnant

(5 Posts)
Ashpan26 Tue 26-Apr-16 20:17:06

Hi I just found out I'm 5 weeks pregnant we weren't planning it and I have polycystic ovaries so thought I wouldn't have kids. I'm shocked but happy my biggest worry is the financial side of things my partner works full time and I work part time so I would only get part time wages on maternity leave I'm not sure how we would afford everything we would also need a bigger house so a mortgage deposit is needed aswell. I just don't know how other working families manage I'm just so worried and have a million questions running through my mind thanks for any advice

YouSay Tue 26-Apr-16 20:22:48

Congratulations. Babies don't cost much at all in the beginning and you can always buy second hand. Also you won't need a bigger house for a good while so I wouldn't worry. Can you afford to save some money whilst pregnant?

KeyboardMum Tue 26-Apr-16 22:08:02

Welcome to the pregnancy club, and congrats! Assuming that you are keeping your upcoming bundle of joy, poo, projectile vomit and noise, you have quite a bit of planning to do.

We had similar worries to you, so initially my OH and I assessed our finances. We sat down together, with a brew, and listed all of our outgoings and incomings. We realised that there are so many ways that you can shave off £s.

I don't know how much of this will help you, but taking these steps helped us to manage and save (and cash out on really nice baby stuff). It might seem rather stringent to other people, but it works for us.

Food Shop:-

- Try making your own bread (it's cheaper to buy flour, and you know what's in it)
- Stop buying branded stuff (unless it's on offer)
- Stop buying alcohol (not the best idea to drink now that you are pregnant anyway)
- Stop buying fizzy drinks (perfectly drinkable water comes strait out of your tap... and it's cheaper!!)
- Fruit and veg is cheaper from an outdoor market (Sainsburys charges 2 quid for 8 strawberries at the moment... wankers)
- If you can't be arsed to visit an outdoor market for you fruit and veg, buy stuff which isn't pre-prepped, i.e a whole head of lettuce rather than bagged lettuce, or lose bananas rather than packaged bananas.
- Stop buying crap food (crisps are really expensive for their nutritional value, so is chocolate and sweeties)
- Instead buy cheap, bulky food with high nutritional value for it's price (porridge, rice, pasta, lentils, chickpeas)
- Bulk, frozen veggies are nice and cheap, frozen fruit (for stuff like smoothies) can be cheaper too.

Set a shopping budget We are currently set at £40 a week for our food shop, and we always have plenty to eat.

Try to plan your meals.

Online food shopping is a really good way to control how much money you are spending - you can see the cost mounting up AND temptation is taken away as you're not browsing isles. Plus, because most super markets do delivery for a quid, you are saving on petrol money AND you don't have to lug the shopping around - which is good because you don't want to be carrying heavy loads whilst pregnant.

NEVER food shop when you are hungry, because all kinds of stuff ends up in the trolly :P

ALWAYS complain when something is sub-par. If you can get your money back because there was a bit of plastic in your fishcake, or if one of your grapes is mouldy before the best before date, do it!

Other shopping:-

For your toiletries, look for cheaper options like homebrand, or try shopping around - branded stuff is expensive.

For your clothes, perhaps you could try looking in charity shops? I know it sounds scabby, but you'd be really surprised at what you find in there. A surprising amount of charity shops do maternity clothes. Also, I found George to be quite good for maternity stuff.

If you have any pets, try buying food/sawdust/litter for them online. It's much cheaper to buy stuff in bulk instead of from places like Pets At Home.

Eating out and about:-

- Pre-prepare your lunch at home, don't waste 2 quid on a crappy sandwich, or an expensive 'meal deal' from Boots. It ain't a deal... it's a ramming.
- Try cutting out/down eating in restaurants (instead, you could try having a date night in, with a nice cooked meal and some candles)
- Fast food mounts up the £s and the lbs (we realised that we were spending nearly 60 quid on McDonalds a while ago, it's crazy)

If you really do need your fast food Fridays and curry nights, you could limit this to once or twice a month and make a PayPal account for that expenditure. Then you could only spend what you have allowed yourself to put in there.

Petrol:-

- Don't needlessly travel, if it takes you 5 minutes to walk it, what's the point in driving?
- Online shopping will also help to reduce this cost

At home:-

Make sure you have a look at your energy tariffs and think about what you can do to reduce them, like switching. You can save yourself a good £50 - £60 at per year at least with 10 minutes of effort put into comparison.

- Do you really need stuff like SKY? There's plenty of free TV available online with stuff like Youtube, IPLAYER and 4OD
- Remember to turn lights off (I was terrible for this)
- Turn the TV off, don't leave it running
- Shut your PC down, don't leave it running - especially if you are playing video games on it, or running photoshop or something, it uses more of the processor, so more power.
- Turn consoles off, don't leave games running for hours whilst you go for a bath
- Don't leave taps running - like when you brush your teeth for example (I was also terrible for this)
- Try condensing your washing (but don't overload the machine!! bad things happen)
- Quick showers on eco setting
- Less baths
- Use draft preventing measures to help keep the heat in the house - like those funny looking door-snakes, thicker curtains etc (unless your current residence is super energy efficient)

For baby:-

The main thing we did to save costs for baby was shop around and look at deals. A lot of places are keen to get you as a consumer, so take advantage of stuff like Boots and Mothercare club rewards.

If you join the Boots parenting club, you get a load of vouchers for money off things like baby monitors, breast pumps, nappies, you get a free changing bag etc Mothercare are currently offering 30 quid off of their Angelcare products if you are a member. There's Bounty too, offering deals. When you go for your initial midwife appointment, you should get a little welcome package with more deals and information in it; which I personally found very helpful.

You could also shop second-hand, so once again with clothes - there are so many second hand baby clothes out there, it's insane. You could also ask around your relatives to see if anyone has had a baby recently who will outgrow their current clothing. Same goes for nursery furniture: people are generally keen to get rid of it, so look on stuff like FreeCycle etc for anything juicy, or maybe join a Facebook group for mums in your area, or other local forums to see what people are trying to get rid of. Just make sure that you give everything a good wash! (I wouldn't recommend getting a breast pump second hand)

Sainsburys was quite good for cheap baby clothes, George too.

There are things that you really don't need to buy that other people might swear by - like the Top and Tail bowl, a baby bath (you can do it in the sink lol, just watch them and be careful) baby towels (you can use a normal towel) special baby detergent and other things I can't think of right now. Ask your Mum or your nan - they will probably tell you the same thing.

Just remember that it's always cheaper to buy in bulk, then to buy little packs of things - like wipes, even wipes aren't really needed, you can use cotton wool and water.

Also, you might find that, with a new baby on the way, people start buying stuff for you. Obviously, don't expect or rely on this, but we found that a lot of things (clothes in particular) have been bought for us by relatives and friends excited for the pregnancy - which is really nice. You could try making a 'baby list' early on Google Docs and sharing it with your nearest and dearest. Mark off what you already have, so if they wanted to get you a gift, they could see what you do and don't have.

Wow, long post! Hopefully some of that will help.

Ashpan26 Tue 26-Apr-16 22:37:54

Thank you so much for replying ladies I think we all feel the same when we find out Its really helpful information we could definitely cut back on a lot of food and luxuries ha I don't drink much or smoke so saving a lot on that already i will definitely check out the boots offers aswell thanks again 😊

KeyboardMum Tue 26-Apr-16 23:18:52

You're welcome!

Seriously though, just listing our expenditures, really helped to highlight where we were sinking money pointlessly. We opened an account to help us save that money instead, and it feels so good to know that it's mounting up instead. It's nice to feel more in control.

Oh wow, didn't even think about smoking. Smokers probably sink a shitload per week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now