Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sharp, sudden pains in rectum - ideas?

(6 Posts)
BergamotMouse Tue 26-Apr-16 19:43:22

I'm 27 weeks pregnant and a few of times in the past week I've had sharp pains in what feels like my rectum but it's difficult to pin point the pain. Just now it was slightly to the left. It stops me in my tracks and it's difficult not to shout out with the pain. It's agonisingly painful for about a minute or so, then will pass and return a few minutes later. This can go on for about 20 minutes.

I'm not constipated so it's not that. Anyone any ideas about potential causes / had similar experiences? My googling doesn't seem to bring up anything quite in the right area.

MrsUnderwood Tue 26-Apr-16 19:45:09

That'll be the bum daggers/ Arse javelins. I had them after I gave birth. They're well known on Mumsnet!

Looly71 Tue 26-Apr-16 19:47:26

It's something to do with your bones softening ready to give birth. Bloody painful I know flowers and won't necessarily get better for a while although I cd go days without any and then they'd be back

MrPony Tue 26-Apr-16 19:50:12

I got them when the baby was starting to get engaged, bloody painful!

BergamotMouse Tue 26-Apr-16 19:52:31

Haha - it really does feel like an arse javelin. Well it's a relief to know it's a common symptom. I won't embarrass myself with a trip to the doctors then.

Baconyum Tue 26-Apr-16 19:53:16

Haha knew what this was before thread opened, yea it's to do with loosening ligaments and body parts pressing on certain nerves. The joys of pregnancy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now