Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

excessive pregnancy weight gain??

(7 Posts)
mackoo0524 Mon 25-Apr-16 17:59:40

Hi ladies, hope this is the right place to post!

I'm currently 18.5 weeks pregnant and am concerned about excessive weight gain. sad(( I'm 5'4 / 1.64m tall, and had always been 53-54 kg (around 116 pounds) pre-pregnancy.

I had really bad cravings during my first trimester and put on loads... Been eating more healthily and started exercising as well since week 15-16 as morning sickness has subsided and have lots more energy now. But I've still put on 9 kg (almost 20 pounds) since getting pregnant!!!! Is this normal??? My MW hasn't said anything about my weight but according to all the pregnancy books and weight gain calculators, I'm WAY over the normal weight gain range!!! I still (kind of) fit into my pre-preg clothes (size 8) and while I do feel more flabby overall, 20 pounds just sounds like a lot!! sad

So I guess my question is, should I worry about my weight gain?? And is it safe to start eating less/ exercising more now?

Any advice would be much appreciated... Thanks so much !!

SummerHouse Mon 25-Apr-16 18:05:53

You are doing great. Perhaps before with cravings and sickness you needed to watch what you were eating but sounds like you addressed that. I think your gain will ease off now. Apart from something gentle like walking I would not start exercise. Its fine to continue if you already do something but not to start unless specifically aimed like pregnancy yoga. That is the best thing I ever did.

ShootTheMoon Mon 25-Apr-16 18:09:24

I'm almost exactly your height and weigh a little bit more. I put on around 40lbs in both of my pregnancies despite horrendous nausea, heart burn, and vomiting. I do a lot less exercise in pregnancy but also just get very bloated.

Both times I lost all of the weight within the year, and the first time I lost a good stone extra based on my pre-preg weight. Everyone responds to pregnancy differently I'm afraid. Good luck!

IamChipmunk Mon 25-Apr-16 18:19:13

You are pretty much the same height and weight I was at the start of my first pregnancy.
I put on 4 stone!

Second time round I am 27 weeks and so far only put on a stone and a half.

No idea why although I was heavier this time round than to start with in pregnancy 1 and stupidly hungry all the time.

I wouldn't worry too much.

Sparklycat Mon 25-Apr-16 18:22:05

I went from a size 8/10 in my first pregnancy to a 14 sad I ate the same but didn't exercise.

mackoo0524 Mon 25-Apr-16 18:35:24

Thank you everyone for your replies!! It's funny how differently people respond to pregnancy isn't it??

Pre-pregnancy I exercised regularly (3-4 times a week, aerobics/ pilates types workout) but in first trimester I stopped completely. I think I'll do some gentle exercise and try to eat healthily and just hope the weight gain will ease off!

Thanks everyone! x

FlatWhiteToGo Mon 25-Apr-16 18:41:50

Hi smile

I know exactly how you feel. I'm 15 weeks and have already gained a stone. Like you I had unbearable cravings in my first trimester (for crap) and found I had to eat all the time to stop the nausea.

I think you're doing the right thing by starting to exercise. Just don't push yourself too hard and make sure you don't get dehydrated or overheated. I'd be wary of trying to restrict your food intake, but just do your best to make sensible choices when you can.

Try not to stress too much. Ultimately you can lose the weight post-birth, it'll just mean there's a little more to lose and it may be a bit harder!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now