Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Self-certifying pregnancy-related sickness with employer

(4 Posts)
reservedlaydee Mon 25-Apr-16 11:52:24

I have correctly reported sick to my employer by phone for 4 periods of pregnancy-related absences over the past 4 months. As most have been under 7 days, i attempted to self-certify. However my HR dept are requesting, 1) i either get a doctors note or 2) ask my unsupportive manager to request it is recorded correctly as pregnancy-related.
Its likely my manager will ask for proof also. Even though its just been an odd few days here and there. To add to the problem, GPs aren't happy to write a note if they haven't seen you. I have a note for 2 out of the four absences but yesterdays one, i was in the hospitals emergency early preg unit. No paperwork/note given to me.
Surely this is not necessary each time im off for odd days here-and-there. Its been a difficult pregnancy and sometimes im fine, sometimes im not.
I'm concerned that my sickness is not recorded correctly and could face unfair treatment at work. Has anyone else had problems self-certifying? I don't want to be off for weeks when im well enough to work but it seems easier for me to go down that route.

FifiRebel Mon 25-Apr-16 16:00:36

It sounds like the problem is your manager not recording your absences as pregnancy related, which might be making you exceed your HR policy on trigger points. I don't see why you should have to provide a doctors note if the sickness period was under a week (and I'm pretty sure doctors don't provide sick notes for this length of time). But I also don't think it's unreasonable for your employer to ask for proof of pregnancy if you've had 4 separate incidents. Do you have a maternity exemption card or your handheld notes that you could show your manager?

I've had two pregnancy related absences of 2 weeks so I had a doctors note each time. But the first absence was at 12 weeks before I had received my MATB1 form so HR contacted my boss to verify my sickness was pregnancy related. I had to provide my due date to stop the system from asking for my MATB1 all the time.

FifiRebel Mon 25-Apr-16 16:01:02

It sounds like the problem is your manager not recording your absences as pregnancy related, which might be making you exceed your HR policy on trigger points. I don't see why you should have to provide a doctors note if the sickness period was under a week (and I'm pretty sure doctors don't provide sick notes for this length of time). But I also don't think it's unreasonable for your employer to ask for proof of pregnancy if you've had 4 separate incidents. Do you have a maternity exemption card or your handheld notes that you could show your manager?

I've had two pregnancy related absences of 2 weeks so I had a doctors note each time. But the first absence was at 12 weeks before I had received my MATB1 form so HR contacted my boss to verify my sickness was pregnancy related. I had to provide my due date to stop the system from asking for my MATB1 all the time.

Syrine Mon 25-Apr-16 17:26:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now