Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cyclizine for severe morning sickness

(6 Posts)
Nuttypops Fri 22-Apr-16 16:13:42

I was prescribed cyclizine for morning sickness a couple of days ago. I was struggling to cope with the all day nausea and being sick multiple times a day whilst looking after our toddler so thankfully the GP was willing to prescribe something.

Has anyone else used it in pregnancy? Just wondering how long it took to work? Although I have been taking 3 x tablets at points during the day it doesn't seem to be having much effect at this stage so I am wondering how long to give it before going back to see if there is an alternative.

Pinklily1 Fri 22-Apr-16 18:27:13

Hi

I was prescribed it in my first trimester. I'll be honest - it did nothing for me. I actually started being sick more when I began taking it and I only lasted a week on it for that reason. But everyone is different and just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for you! Fingers crossed, and if you find it doesn't help there are plenty of other things the doctor can prescribe so go back and ask for something different rather than suffering.

Jenjen85 Fri 22-Apr-16 18:31:13

I had it in 1st trimester and it made me worse couldn't physically get out of bed for 3 days so the Dr gave me a different tablet. My friend however was fine on cyclazine

icklekid Fri 22-Apr-16 18:31:42

I would leave it 3 days and then go back to gp. In my first pregnancy cyclazine was fantastic and really helped. This time I am taking it alongside ondansetron which is great. Come join us in the hypermesis thread as lots of us are on medication for sickness

Nuttypops Fri 22-Apr-16 19:31:24

Thanks, it sounds like mixed results from it. I'll go back to the GP on Monday if it doesn't seem to be doing anything by then.

Thank ickle, I will pop in and say hello. Anywhere with an understanding of this sounds a very welcoming place!

PeppaPigStinks Sat 23-Apr-16 07:01:19

The hyperemesis thread is amazing.

From what I understand cyclizine works on a cumulative effect - so it needs to build up first. I could be wrong though.

Different meds work differently each time third pregnancy here and second hyperemesis and this time it's been different than before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now