Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Experience of Progesterone Suppositories

(19 Posts)
KittensandKnitting Thu 21-Apr-16 21:36:57

Hi everyone,

So this is my fourth pregnancy sadly the others have all resulted in miscarriage, my last just being four weeks ago.

I have also had two suspected miscarriages, before what we count as my "first"

Bit of background - Used the CB monitor all month, all month it said low although I definitely saw a change around CD11... Missed it for two days, thought past it this month gave in after POAS withdrawal symptoms and on CD25 it's a peak. I then did another one CD26 really strong peak. So in for a penny in for a pound I did an ETPT - BFP!! I had to do five to be sure as very faint and not expecting it this month at all - but yup BFP smile

So as I'm under the EPU I've been put straight onto the progesterone suppositories but this evening after using my first around 5pm I've felt very very bloated.

I guess looking for some reassurance of what others have experienced as I've not used it before and I am petrified of another miscarriage, but trying to stay very clam and take it all one step at a time.

Any advise greatly recieved smile

lougle Thu 21-Apr-16 21:50:32

Congratulations! Do you mean suppositories (into the rectum) or pessaries (into the vagina)? You might be able to advanced search progesterone pessaries and find some threads.

KittensandKnitting Thu 21-Apr-16 21:57:16

Thank you - super excited, super nervous smile

These can be used either way, versatile little things that they are! I was advised to swap around and as my cervix can get irrited then using as a supposotories may be more pleasant, and apparently less messy.

I've googled a bit, but not huge amounts of info (maybe as I refered to them as suppositories which is how my gyno team refer to them) so thought I would ask mumsnetters smile

mmmminx Thu 21-Apr-16 22:04:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SmallLegsOrSmallEggs Thu 21-Apr-16 22:04:16

I took part in the study on the use of these in preventing early labour in twin pgs.
Bit messy but ok.
They didn't start them till about 28 wks though and tbh by then I am not sure I'd have known bloated.

Congratulations though and good luck!

KittensandKnitting Thu 21-Apr-16 22:12:17

minx I haven't had any mess at all, so think I shall keep going this way!

Very bloated this evening, I think its going to be hard to tell the difference between these things causing it or the little one growing in there!

I will take ANY side effects to make sure everything works out, just feel so bloated and a bit crampy (ovulation style, which is why I thought I'd just ovulated late at first) -

keep telling myself it's all normal stuff smile

Thanks for the replies smile

cheapredwine Fri 22-Apr-16 06:06:22

You will probably get constipated (sorry!) but in my experience the bloating and things settle down after a few weeks. Definitely use the back door.

hopeful31yrs Fri 22-Apr-16 08:04:55

Have had them rectal and vaginal. Rectal suppositories are the way to go - the others are vile. I am currently 10 weeks pregnant with numero 2 from IVF and using the vaginal pessaries - they are not nice at all. Symptom wise bloating with a huge thing initially on them and as others have said - constipation! Keep yourself hydrated and increase the fibre if you can tolerate it. This does get better but the odd day I have symptoms.

Only 2 more weeks for me - can't wait!

KittensandKnitting Fri 22-Apr-16 08:39:31

Thanks cheap and hopeful,

Fully expecting to get blocked up, one of my biggest symptoms usually of pregnancy.

Am drinking gallons, constantly thirsty but again another symptom for me.

Pain settled over night, just twinges now but again telling myself this is normal smile

KittensandKnitting Fri 22-Apr-16 08:39:54

And thank you!

ifigoup Fri 22-Apr-16 08:44:47

I had to take these until week 12 of pregnancy for the same sad reason as you (and am currently 32 weeks, so hang in there!). They did make me feel bloated - it's normal. I actually much preferred using them vaginally because if I used them rectally they tended to shoot out again!

Best of luck for a sticky, healthy pregnancy!

KittensandKnitting Fri 22-Apr-16 10:43:38

Thanks Ifi,

It's just an awful thing to experience so I'm sorry you have experienced it too, lovely to hear you used them and have arrived at 32 weeks smile so want to be super excited but it's so hard.

I am trying so hard to not over think everything, but every tiny cramp has me worried, some have been quite strong to be fair. I think if I can get to my early scan at 7 weeks then I will relax a bit more smile I'm not normally such a drama llama but have been going through this for so long it's hard not too.

I am so tired!! Am yawning my head off smile so sorry if not making full sense smile

mrsmugoo Fri 22-Apr-16 10:52:57

I used them from ovulation to the first 12 weeks of this pregnancy - I always did the back door to save on mess. I experienced no side effects, other than a continued, viable pregnancy!!

KittensandKnitting Fri 22-Apr-16 15:25:41

That's nice to hear MrsMugoo

It is highly possible everything I'm experiencing is just baby related smile as it has always hit me quite hard quite quicky smile

OhIfIMust Fri 22-Apr-16 20:27:42

I took til week 16 - twice a day. Messy but held on to both pregnancies when I used them so I rate them! Bloating and constipation both side effects. Good luck xx

eurochick Fri 22-Apr-16 20:34:09

I used them after IVF, for the first 12 weeks. I had a lot of bleeding and so was advised to use the back door. Not fun but you do whatever you have to.

RiverTam Fri 22-Apr-16 20:37:53

After 5 mcs I used them when pg with DD, vaginal pessaries for the first 12 weeks. Worked for that pregnancy (yay) but not for subsequent 2 (boo). Can't remember if they made me bloated or not, I remember being quite constipated in the early days. I also had acupuncture when pg with DD, though not for the subsequent two.

Best of luck to you, op!

freelancegirl Fri 22-Apr-16 20:50:43

I've used them for three pregnancies (until 16 weeks) and had two babies when using them. Had 5 miscarriages all together. I used the front entrance, as it were, but I know a lot of people find it easier via the back! I really hated the smell of them and the goo that comes out but otherwise there were no issues with them. I was bloated too (and those ovulation type feelings you're describing) but that could have just been pregnancy too.

Have they recommended anything else? My miscarriage doctor (one of the top experts in the country - who helped me have two children after 5 miscarriages) would say take a low dose aspirin, Pregnacare plus Omega 3 (or other brand but definitely with the Omega 3) and an additional 50ug of Vitamin D (vitamin D3). I was also on steroids and other medication but the ones I mentioned are ones you can easily access yourself and are said to be beneficial in helping prevent miscarriage.

KittensandKnitting Fri 22-Apr-16 21:45:28

Hi all - thanks for all the responses, and sorry to hear of your loses but lovely to hear positive stories!! I have spent most of today wondering if it's really happening as so nervous then cried on DP because my cat looked cute and worrying it's not going to last. Big breaths smile

freelance I completely forgot to ask them about low dose aspirin as I had seen it somewhere, I do have some am in two minds whether to do it or not. I have always taken the pregnacare Max, and actually continued to take it inbetween rather than going back to the "conception" one. As had loads of them and actually felt the benefits of the omega-3 (happy side effect my nails have never looked so wonderful!) my hair now I'm pregnant is like a lank blob smile but nothing a can of dry shampoo doesn't sort out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now