Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help! 17 hours into Propess induction and desperately need encouragenent

(9 Posts)
Lazaringo Thu 21-Apr-16 10:19:32

I am 38+3 and am being induced early for a large baby. It's been stressful because doctors keep questioning my consultant's decision to induce, but here I am. I had the pessary inserted yesterday - very painful on account of a closed, hard cervix. So far nothing. Last night two women had horrble births in the beds either side of me so I heard it all and am terrified I'm going to soon be in the agonising pain they were screaming about. Doctors have warned me this pessary will likely not work and that a second will be needed - though they seem doubtful that will work too. I desperately need some encouragement and positive stories and eventual labour with Propess. Feeling very depressed and a tad traumatised at mo, which is ridiculous given the hard part hasn't even started yet.

possum18 Thu 21-Apr-16 10:23:46

I had propess 14 days ago and had my twins 12 days ago, after 24 hours of the propess I was 1cm which isn't great but was enough for them to be able to break my waters which helped move things along. Ended up EMCS after successful labouring for 20 hours but that was not directly related to the induction and was all fine! Just go with the flow and keep an open mind, the hospital will do what's best and safest for you and baby. Congratulations and good luck thanks

Lazaringo Thu 21-Apr-16 10:29:22

Thank you possum18. Congratulations on your twins xxx

possum18 Thu 21-Apr-16 11:03:47

Thank you, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat for my babies, it's really not that bad and it's soooooo worth every second X

SunnyDays1987 Thu 21-Apr-16 11:48:32

I was induced with propess 16 months ish ago at 36 weeks. First one didn't work. Second one did! Took about 12 hours after the second one for labour to kick off but when it did it went with a real bang. He was born less than 2 hours after I started with a little bit of back pain. I recommend walking as much as possible to try and get things going. It's not the most pleasant having the pessaries inserted though is it. Good luck!

Lazaringo Thu 21-Apr-16 13:14:20

Thank you SunnyDays. I'm glad it's not just me who hated the insertion. The midwife told me it would be painless so when it smarted so much I really doubted my ability to cope with pain. I'm glad your labour went quickly. X

Noodledoodledoo Thu 21-Apr-16 14:01:05

Ask for gas and air for insertion my first one was very painful following two had gas and air and lot more manageable. My induction took 4 days and was also due to large bubba. Required drip in the end. Did get me to full dilation though and nearly natural delivery. Little girl with a big head turned head at the wrong time so ended up with emcs!

HidinginPlainS1ght Thu 21-Apr-16 16:04:30

I had propess 24 hours later they took it out, I'd actually gone backwards. They decided to let me rest for the night. 1 hour later everything kicked off. DC was born within 40 minutes. 1st baby 38+2. Active labour was 15 mins

tiddz23 Thu 21-Apr-16 17:20:47

Its awful listening to it all going on around you but please keep in mind each birth is different. Try and have a good walk around (as much as you can) rather than sitting unless you've been told not to. I was induced on both my last but I go to +14 with mine. As I understand it some some can be unresponsive to this stage and its not unusual.. I'd say it did with me as I was well over ready to pop! You'll be fine .. You'll have your little one to snuggle soon .. You're nearly there xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now