Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Laxatives

(12 Posts)
socktastic Wed 20-Apr-16 06:55:18

So after spending 45 mins on the loo this morning with the most horrendous stomach pains, I've decided to give in and accept that I may need laxatives to help me out. I'm 30 weeks tomorrow and have managed the whole time without and probably shouldn't have!
I'm worried about them though - do they make you need to run to the loo like diarrhoea? I hate doing number 2s at work. (DH thinks this is crazy and prides himself on his 10 minute dump breaks at his work)
What are other people's experiences?

winchester1 Wed 20-Apr-16 07:03:47

If you are already blocked I'd get a glycerine suppository (from the chemist) and use it at home as it will get things moving.
Are you already having flax seed (crushed a couple of desert spoons a day) and lots of water. If not I'd try that before laxatives.

socktastic Wed 20-Apr-16 07:18:23

I think I'm drinking enough but haven't tried flax seed. Where would I get that from?

JellyBaby26 Wed 20-Apr-16 07:20:55

Have you adjusted your diet? I'm sure you have but I always like to try natural things before medical!

socktastic Wed 20-Apr-16 07:23:01

Yeah, I've made sure to eat more fibre and fruit and I'm drinking more water. I think the dietary changes definitely made a difference. I've not had so much fruit recently though so that could be a reason for this mornings 'episode'.

JellyBaby26 Wed 20-Apr-16 11:21:53

Apricots work for me as does sugar free and diet drinks but I think that might be my sensitive tum!

winchester1 Wed 20-Apr-16 12:40:08

You can get flax seed at the supermarket in mine its near baking and dried fruit. Dried apricots helped as well.
And lots and lots of water esp now summer is here.

cheapredwine Wed 20-Apr-16 20:59:45

Movicol won't give you the trots but you might still need to do a poo at work. Don't use senna - generally not regarded as safe in pregnancy. Lactulose is safe but less predictable and is more urgent a feeling of needing to go NOW.

Smile150 Fri 22-Apr-16 14:41:30

You could try fybrogel you can get it on prescription or from chemist and it's safe for use when pregnant. If provides you with more fibre to help ease constipstion

hownottofuckup Fri 22-Apr-16 14:43:18

Check which are safe,I was advised by pharmacist just to use prunes and a little prune juice. Worked a treat!

cheapredwine Fri 22-Apr-16 16:43:03

Lactulose, Movicol and Fybogel are all safe

Liskee Sat 23-Apr-16 22:45:02

I've just got lactulose on prescription and it has worked wonders for me in a very normal, very regular way!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now