Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else freaking out about second labour?

(11 Posts)
Reebok Tue 19-Apr-16 23:19:01

38+4, second baby (4th pregnancy), hg sufferer and while I'm dying to get this baby out having suffered from 2 preterm labour scares and daily contractions since 33 weeks...I'm also panicked! I didn't have the best labour with dd and it's got me freaked out and feeling more scared this time round. To top it, I've been stupid this evening and watched one born every minute. Anyone else having second+ dc feeling the same way?

BubbleandSqueeeek Wed 20-Apr-16 00:00:01

YES, MASSIVELY! Bit of a long induced labour ending in EMCS last time with a shitty recovery so I'm a lot more anxious this time round. I've no words of wisdom unfortunately....

Stylingwax Wed 20-Apr-16 00:15:43

Recently had my second. First one was not good. Second one I also had contractions for weeks, v irritating but when it came down to it I woke one night with them full on and she was out 3 hours later.
Every midwife I saw said post first baby it's much easier (sure someone will come along with a horrendous second baby story but I do think logically once you've done it once your body kind of must have a template for doing it again).

cornishglos Wed 20-Apr-16 04:57:09

First baby was back-to-back. 24 hour labour ending in epidural, ventouse, episiotomy and 2nd degree tear. Was traumatised afterwards.
2nd baby. Very straightforward. 4.5 hour labour. No pain relief as no time. A few stitches that didn't hurt.
Good luck.

YokoUhOh Wed 20-Apr-16 05:00:28

Yep, first baby ended up with 3rd degree tear because DS turned at the last minute. No pain relief (ouch). Am 35 weeks and worried about it happening again, although obstetrician has been helpful...

Reebok Wed 20-Apr-16 10:32:28

Thanks for the reassurance ladies. Here's hoping baby comes along soon because these daily contractions are really making it hard to look after dd and making me feel like crap. Plus I can't wait to stop throwing up and feeling nauseous.

Bubble and Yoko here's hoping we all have easier time this time.

YokoUhOh Wed 20-Apr-16 11:33:38

Reebok flowers

nuggles Wed 20-Apr-16 21:42:31

Yes yes yes! My first labour was 49 hours and ended up an assisted birth after induction - was horrific I kept passing out after each contraction.
This time around I'm terrified like you, so looking into hypnobirthing. Heck I'll try anything if it eases anxieties about the birth!

People tell me, like the above posters, second birth is much quicker. You'll have to let us know! Good luck 😀

Pidgythe2nd Wed 20-Apr-16 21:45:11

Much quicker and easier 2nd time round!!
Don't panic!

mnpeasantry Wed 20-Apr-16 21:54:43

Oh my god. Was about to start a post on this. Also 38 + 4 and delivering DC2 by planned c sec tomorrow due to medical issues. I'm terrified by the prospect of the surgery but would also be terrified by the prospect of the natural route too. Wishing you all the best of luck!

tellmemore1982 Wed 20-Apr-16 22:01:26

Every birth is different.

My first was back to back, induced over 3 days, 2nd degree tears and nearly 10lb baby.

I was so frightened of having a bigger baby with back to back labour again that doctors agreed to induce me at 40 weeks (bump was looking big but turns out that was just the biscuits).

As it happened, a petite little 7lb baby popped out in two pushes after a short natural and right way round labour, a day before due date.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now