Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Please reassure me

(13 Posts)
Snoopysimaginaryfriend Mon 18-Apr-16 20:34:17

Hi everyone

I'm 36+1 today and had a growth scan this afternoon because I take medication for hypothyroidism. The sonographer said baby was 'growing well' and 'average weight' so no need for a follow up or induction based on size. I breathed a sigh of relief and waddled off very happy.

Then I read the actual report in my maternity notes and they've estimated baby's weight is already 6lbs 13 ozs. I'm only 5ft1 (I was born 5lbs13 at 39+1) I'm now terrified that if she continues like this she's going to be a 10lber if she's over due. She's measured ahead right from the start (according to dating scan she was conceived before I ovulated, I was tracking and testing so no idea about that one)

Please reassure me that this scan can't possibly be right. I know it's silly but I had been planning a natural birth but this has really scared me.

BeardMinge Mon 18-Apr-16 20:51:39

It's an estimate, and judging from most of my friends' experiences they are quite often wildly off with their estimated weights.

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Mon 18-Apr-16 20:57:59

Thanks beard. I know I'm a coward

FluffyPickleMonster Mon 18-Apr-16 21:47:32

All of the estimated weights given to my friends were way off, one was expecting a 9lb baby but got a 6lb3oz one instead! There's nothing to say you wouldn't manage a big baby anyway, so just try and relax and trust the staff to help you should you need it.

BikeRunSki Mon 18-Apr-16 21:50:02

Agree that estimates can be way out. I was told DS would be over 10lb. He was 7lb 10oz.

Roarlikeadinosaur Mon 18-Apr-16 21:56:27

They definitely over estimate all the time, try not to worry. Someone told me that your body will grow a baby it's capable of delivering...you'll be fine smile

Shortninbread Tue 19-Apr-16 06:59:16

Neither of mine were accurate. Plus weight doesn't usually have anything to do with difficult delivery. The head is always the widest point but the skull plates actually overlap/compress to fit 10cm cervix. If it's a tall, chubbier baby it'll make no difference in how it comes out. Sorry if this is overshare!

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Tue 19-Apr-16 07:48:29

Definitely not over share short.

Thank you all. Feel a bit better now. I know the growth scan was necessary but if all is fine no idea why they have to guess at a weight.

SophieVictoria1213 Tue 19-Apr-16 16:21:22

Hi!
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I had a growth scan the morning i went into labour with DS and was estimated 9lb 5!!!!
Like you I am only 5ft 1 so naturally panicked and questioned whether I could go ahead with natural birth I had planned. Midwives assured me if be fine, so I didn't push it.
But ended up having difficult labour and emergency c-section to 8lb 12 baby. He was perfectly healthy and happy mind you.
This time round I will be requesting growth scans throughout pregnancy and if they estimate big I'll be having ELCS for definite.
Maybe you should voice your concerns and request more growth scans? I wish I had.
Sorry to be a downer, just wanted to share my experience, as in my case they were fairly accurate, he was a big, big baby!!

Plantpot83 Tue 19-Apr-16 19:15:21

I had a scan at 37 weeks which estimated that DD already weighed 8lbs 7, I was really panicked but when she was born at 41weeks she weighed 9lbs3 so hadn't piled much on.

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Wed 20-Apr-16 11:03:36

sophie do you think anticipating a big baby made birth worse for you?

All through the scan the senior sonographer (there was a student actually scanning) was saying 'it's a healthy average baby' and now looking at the report none of the measurements are above the 75th centile so I don't know how she could already be about 7 pounds, unless she's just a little chubster haha

plantpot that's reassuring.

Obviously however much she weighs she has to come out at some point. I have a midwives appointment on Friday to discuss a birth plan so I will ask them too

SophieVictoria1213 Wed 20-Apr-16 19:10:48

Snoopy,
Yes definitely made birth worse. I was so anxious throughout, mentality was all over the place! I couldn't get focused. So best to try to relax and take it as it comes.
Good luck x

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Wed 20-Apr-16 21:36:40

So sorry to hear that sophie, it must have been incredibly stressful to be told that the morning you went into labour.

I think having some time to prepare myself is helpful. I'm going to relax and try to be positive about the experience. As long as she gets here safe, that's what matters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now