Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

If I switch my GP do I have to switch midwife?

(6 Posts)
Twinklelittlestar1 Sun 17-Apr-16 23:38:54

Hi I'm 8 weeks pregnant, had my booking in appointment with the midwife last week but I'm desperate to change my doctors as I'm not happy with him.

The midwife was assigned by the doctor so does that mean I'll have to swap her if I move?

Twinklelittlestar1 Sun 17-Apr-16 23:39:43

Meant to say, really don't want to switch midwife as she seems great.

HD18 Mon 18-Apr-16 07:46:50

If you are staying within the same practice and area then I wouldn't imagine you will. If you change surgeries you may have to. I moved in January, stayed within the same city but not area so I had to change midwives as its a different catchment area. I was also worried about changing as I loved my initial midwife and only had my booking and first appointment with her but I was really lucky to get an equally lovely midwife when I moved.

Artioo2 Mon 18-Apr-16 09:40:29

Is it a practice with more than one doctor? Usually you can just request to see someone else, even if the original doctor remains recorded as your 'official' doctor. I've only seen the doctor at my practice who is recorded as my GP once - I always request someone else who I prefer. You don't routinely see a GP again after your initial appointment in pregnancy, just the midwife, so you'd only see a GP for a specific issue, making it easy to request a different doctor if that's an option.

mmmminx Mon 18-Apr-16 09:59:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

suspiciousofgoldfish Mon 18-Apr-16 13:52:12

I think different practice - different midwife.

Different doc only - midwife shouldn't change, no need to.

Ask at your surgery reception (while hiding from the doctor you don't like).

Just out of interest, what do you want to change doctors?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now