Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Job security unsure o plan another. Advice needed

(4 Posts)
Sweetpea86 Sun 17-Apr-16 18:24:55

Hi, I've worked at my job for 7 years and I have a 2 year old son. My husband and I would love another but my worries about my job. Things a really quite at the mo. And usual whispers going around. No job losses as of yet and I only just done inductions with two new staff a couple of month ago, but sales are down. I'm worried if I fall pregnant and then worry I'll be targeted for redundancies as I will be heavily pregnant or on maternity.

Has any body been in similar situation. I don't no what to do?

purplemeggie Mon 18-Apr-16 18:25:07

Legally, they can't target you for redundancy if you're pregnant as that is sex discrimination and if you were identified for redundancy without good reasons, you could take them to the tribunal and argue it was because you were pregnant.

If the worst happened though and you were made redundant, I've had several friends manage to get other jobs when they were pregnant. Your family is with you forever, a job is just a job. You may find it doesn't happen automatically second time round, too, so please don't compromise the family you want for a situation that may or may not arise at work.

butteredmuffin Mon 18-Apr-16 21:52:11

Don't quote me on this, but I think if it's possible that you might get made redundant and you don't want to be, getting pregnant could actually work in your favour. Something to do with pregnancy/maternity being a protected characteristic.

quitecrunchy Mon 18-Apr-16 22:48:21

Are you a trade union member? If not it might be worth considering joining so you know that you'd have their backup and legal support if it ever came to needing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now