Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Highlights and fake tan

(17 Posts)
birchygoo Fri 15-Apr-16 22:28:47

I have a feeling I might get a hard time over these questions ...so please go easy

I have two big big functions coming up. I am 7 weeks pregnant and have roots about two inches long and I have the palest skin so a light tan always makes me feel much better about myself (plus area I am from you would be considered very weird to have white legs on show! I now live elsewhere in UK where you are considered weird to wear tan ... But I am going to the area where everyone will be wearing tan)

I have done some research and there seems to be extreme advice swinging both ways on this. This is a very very precious pregnancy (took quite a while to achieve).

My thoughts on highlights, it doesn't touch my scalp. I go to hairdressers after hours and therefore there is not any fumes as such from other people. I don't get any extra products such as hair spray, plus hairdressers work in a hairdressers their whole pregnancy - so I would have thought it was OK to go....otherwise they would be advised to stop working in pregnancy

Fake tan - NHS says research shows it is not absorbed below the top layer of skin and therefore is safe. However, it says you should consider avoiding spray tans due the fumes. Previous occasion's I have never noticed much fumes... has anyone else had a different experience? I guess I could just self apply and hope for streak free.. I am assuming the fumes concern is due to lowering oxygen saturation levels.. So I am more leaning towards avoiding this ..

I am really open to being convinced that I shouldn't have a spray tan or highlights. I have a science background and work within the NHS so I am driven by evidence based information. If anyone had any further information on this I would be grateful.

Please be kind - I am in a delicate emotional state at the moment.

Dixiechick17 Fri 15-Apr-16 22:36:11

With the highlights I'd recommend getting a patch test first, only because hormones can do funny things. My hair was crap in pregnancy and over porous so I didn't want to risk getting any highlights because I didn't know how my hair would react, my head eczema was also worse.

Can't comment on fake tan as I don't use it. Could you not use a gradual tanning lotion instead of a spray tan, just because you can't smell fumes doesn't mean they aren't there.

birchygoo Fri 15-Apr-16 22:43:41

Thanks Dixie, just chatted it over with dh and we have agreed its probably just safer to avoid the spray tan and use a cream based one as the NHS website suggests.

Re: highlights, you have brought up something I was wondering .. do I need to tell my hairdresser ... All of my friends go to this same hairdresser and I have not told any of them yet so am a bit reluctant to tell her in case she lets it slip or in case something goes wrong and I have to go back to her and explain it is no more .. I think i may have to though .. thoughts?

FifiRebel Fri 15-Apr-16 22:53:22

Mousse or cream tans are fine, avoid the spray ones. I've been avoiding tanning my stomach too but don't think there's any reason to avoid it.

birchygoo Fri 15-Apr-16 22:56:31

Thanks Fifi, All I need is half leg and arms for dress.

StarkyTheDirewolf Fri 15-Apr-16 22:56:45

If I've got anything I need to tan for I'll just use Sally Hanson instant. Basically the same as foundation, doesn't rub off but washed off easily with soap and water.

birchygoo Fri 15-Apr-16 23:04:56

Never heard of that Starky I will look into it - thanks

Dixiechick17 Fri 15-Apr-16 23:56:52

You don't have to tell your hairdresser that you are pregnant, just say you would like a patch test as your skin has been a little sensitive recently.

birchygoo Fri 15-Apr-16 23:58:48

but as its highlights and they dont touch the scalp would it not be the hair I need patch tested?

birchygoo Fri 15-Apr-16 23:59:01

Sorry if I am being dim!

Dixiechick17 Sat 16-Apr-16 00:01:14

there is still a chance of the chemical getting on the skin, they only patch test your skin. I've been patch tested for highlights before due to it being a new hairdresser.

Mslg Sat 16-Apr-16 00:40:49

The patch test is for skin sensitivity, not your hair. Highlights are fine. Even if it touches the scalp the amount that could possibly be absorbed is negligible.

Fake tan also fine, just don't get a spray tan because of the small risk of inhaling fumes.

Newfamily2014 Sat 16-Apr-16 10:22:12

I had highlights done in both of my pregnancies wirhout any problems and beautiful healthy babies!
It's important to feel good about yourself in pregnancy so go treat yourself to a nice hair do!

Baz13 Sat 16-Apr-16 10:34:42

I got my hair highlighted by a friend (who is a hairdresser) we used a cap...all was fine, developed well and colour looked good. I will continue to dye my hair throughout as I cannot stand my roots showing.
My sister got a spray tan for my wedding last year and she was 5 months pregnant. The beautician was fine with her having a tan and just told her to try and not inhale the fumes too much (My sister is a nurse and researched it before having one) the colour looked really nice on her and there was no damage to her baby; she gave birth to a very healthy boy 4 months later smile

I agree with Newfamily's comment- it is important to feel good about yourself in pregnancy smile

shelbTa Sat 16-Apr-16 12:27:47

Hi. St tropez is safe to use. I do still use the spray on my face but open the window for ventilation.

X

dementedpixie Sat 16-Apr-16 12:32:26

Highlights are fine. Hair can be more unpredictable in pregnancy though - I had to get mine done twice in one sitting as the first time it didn't take the colour properly. Don't know about fake tan as I don't use it. Could you wear a wee face mask thing if you just get legs/arms done at a spray tanning place

birchygoo Sun 17-Apr-16 11:21:23

Thanks everyone. I feel much better about getting my hair done. Think i will stick with doing my own tan and will fell OK with that as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now