Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

13+2 Doc rang to say my Tsh has gone upto 4.8

(8 Posts)
1moretime Fri 15-Apr-16 19:20:21

Hello.
I'm on thyroxine for underactive thyroid. When i found out I was pregnant at 6 weeks; my tsh was 5.8 - my consultant asked me to increase my thyroxine from 150mcg to 200mcg.
I had my bloods checked again then my tsh went to 0.32.
After another blood test my results have gone back upto 4.8.
I know my consultant said your tsh should be 2 or below when pregnant.
Should I be worried? I need to increase my thyroxine now to 225mcg.
Xxx

MyMrKnightley Fri 15-Apr-16 19:29:16

Yes it should be under 2 whilst pregnant, but your doctors know that and have adjusted meds. Better than my doctors which I've had to inform them of the nice guidelines and push for the correct treatment. Maybe you could ask for another blood test in 4 weeks to check.

1moretime Fri 15-Apr-16 19:43:51

Thank you for your quick response MyNrKnightly smile
I'm going insane reading on Google! Is it dangerous for baby? I'm so scared.
Yes he said iv to have them repeated in a month.
I struggled to get pregnant with undractive thyroid & pcos so this little one is a miracle xx

Corabell Fri 15-Apr-16 19:48:15

Your doctors are recommending the right thing. Stay away from Google! Tsh can fluctuate during the day and the increase is appropriate to bring it down to an acceptable level.

1moretime Fri 15-Apr-16 19:55:31

Thank you Corabell I will try and not Google anymore. I have had underactive thyroid for 6 years and it normally does fluctuate. I know my consultant says ideally it should be 2 or below.
Just wanting to know if anyone else has had these levels at similar gestation & baby been ok. Xx

MyMrKnightley Fri 15-Apr-16 20:28:27

At 12 weeks baby makes its own thyroxine so doesn't rely on your thyroxine any more.

Hedgeh0g Fri 15-Apr-16 20:33:32

I was diagnosed during my last pregnancy and was told I was 'borderline' and not bad enough to medicate. I now know that means I must have been too high because you need optimally low thyroid levels during pregnancy. So I must have gone through the majority of pregnancy with levels too high. Baby arrived at 39 weeks and was fine. I understand it can cause early labour and miscarriage if untreated - but in your case it's being treated, so I don't think you need to worry.

1moretime Fri 15-Apr-16 20:39:19

Really? I didn't realise baby will be making its own now?
Thank you.

Yes that's what I was worried about hedgeh0g Fingers crossed the higher dose will kick in soon & my levels will drop soon. Thank you & congratulations. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now