Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

dyeing baby clothes with Dylon machine dye?

(4 Posts)
dontcryforme Thu 14-Apr-16 10:46:11

I'm thinking of dyeing some of DS's baby clothes using Dylon Machine Dye.
Baby #2 is due in a few weeks and we've not found out the gender. Have quite a bit of baby blue / beige newborn and 0-3 months stuff after DS. Regardless of what gender the baby turns out to be I'm thinking of dyeing some of the stuff 'bright' colours that are unisex, or at least a bold pink for a girl maybe. I like bright stuff! Has anyone done this please? Wondering what colour would work best over baby blue? I guess beige would dye well whatever. Red? Green? Bold aqua? Orange? And presumably the dye itself would be fine for baby? Would give all the clothes a wash and extra rinse afterwards anyway. Thanks!

MintyBojingles Thu 14-Apr-16 19:38:13

Ive done it with adult clothes in the past, you need to be mindful of what colour you are dying on top of - eg blue dyed red might turn purple burgundy. Also watch out for different types of fabric or stitching in the garment- sometimes they don't dye, sometimes that gives a great effect though.

Go for it though, I've wondered about dying some of the plain stuff of DD's in readiness for new baby.

RNBrie Thu 14-Apr-16 19:44:32

I did this for baby two, I dyed everything that had gone grubby grey (Blankets, sheets, onsies, vests and a couple of dd2's stained tops etc)

I did a mix of green, orange and purple and the results were hilarious. The colours came out so bright, it was fantastic. I accidentally dyed one of dh's t-shirts as well and have some lovely photos of him with the two children in matching extremely bright orange tops.

For baby blue I'd not do yellow or orange but greens blues and purples would work. The aqua blue is amazing.

RNBrie Thu 14-Apr-16 19:49:14

This is also one of my favourite photos grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now