Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Itching and rashes

(14 Posts)
kiki22 Wed 13-Apr-16 21:32:40

Anyone have any miraculous remedies for itching? Never had it with my first but this time round I'm developing very dry itchy rash prone irritated skin. I've done all the usual things plenty of water, chemical free products, no soaking in the bath and applying e45 up to 3 times a day. All this keeps it from being very bad but it is getting worse as the week's go on.

I'm going to see the GP tomorrow so will mention it anyone have any recommendations??

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Thu 14-Apr-16 14:29:51

Hi kiki how far along are you?

I'm coming up to 36 weeks and developed itching a few weeks ago. It's always worth just running it past a GP or midwife. I've been having blood tests because it can be a sign your liver isn't functioning very well. So far my results have been ok but I have also been prescribed antihistamines which have helped a lot.

Hope you feel better soon smile

kiki22 Thu 14-Apr-16 18:50:31

20 weeks. I'm fairly sure its just plain old dry skin as its my forearms and below the knee mostly, unfortunately my app today was cancelled so I didn't get to see anyone.

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Thu 14-Apr-16 20:06:26

Oh how annoying. From what you describe you're more than likely fine. If you're still worried maybe just call the midwife and run it past them?

kiki22 Thu 14-Apr-16 20:53:44

I think I'm fine its just so damn annoying. Someone suggests paraffin cream today will try that.

Kstar8 Thu 14-Apr-16 21:16:02

I had a really itchy patch on my back throughout the first trimester (never had it before) that felt a bit like a heat rash but not quite the same. It was driving me up the wall but the e45 itch relief cream (not just the emollient) helped.
I am obsessed with hot baths and use the e45 bath oil to try and get around the drying out effect of the bath.

kiki22 Fri 15-Apr-16 10:19:21

I'll try that Kstar8 ive this little patch on my side under my bra strap that drives me to distraction. I know its nothing to worry about but jeezo is it irritating. I'll try the bath stuff too I miss my baths 😞

BunchOfBobs Fri 15-Apr-16 11:17:07

I second the call for mentioning it to your midwife. I'm getting bloods monitored now for liver function due to itching and a slightly raised level.

Back to the original OP- pine tar soap!!! It's amazing and has drastically reduced my itching, not the cheapest but well worth it's weight in gold as I no long feel the need to claw my back off before bed. Amazon is where I got mine.

Mummyme87 Fri 15-Apr-16 11:53:41

Itching caused by obstetric cholestasis is not associated with dry skin or a rash.
Bath with oats?

BunchOfBobs Fri 15-Apr-16 13:23:51

Mummy if you check the nhs website there can be a rash associated. Regardless, any itching in pregnancy should be brought to the attention of you medical provider.

But an oat bath is a great idea. Really lovely and soothing on your skin.

kiki22 Fri 15-Apr-16 16:16:23

Thanks

Mummyme87 Fri 15-Apr-16 16:51:35

The rash is only associated with itching by causation... The itching causes the rash. A rash or dry skin before the itching is not associated with cholestasis

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Fri 15-Apr-16 18:14:13

No point arguing about it. If the op doesn't want to speak to a medical professional that's her prerogative smile

kiki22 Fri 15-Apr-16 19:14:44

I will bring it up next week when I'm at the GP just to be sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now