Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Uterine arterial Doppler study?

(11 Posts)
JessieMcJessie Wed 13-Apr-16 15:30:14

Just had my 20 week consultant appointment. Am under consultant due to age (42) but have no other risk factors and a healthy pregnancy so far, touch wood. 20 week scan all good but consultant said afterwards that she was surprised they had not been asked to do this study at the same time - as far as I know it's just another scan.

Am now booked in to have it at 22 weeks. My understanding is that they just like to double check placental blood supply in older women.

Anyone had it and can share experience?

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Wed 13-Apr-16 20:19:43

Just like a normal scan except you'll see them measure the blood flow in the cord. The red and blue blood flow you'll see is blood moving away or towards the scanner not oxygenated or deoxygenated as I thought!

I assume you'll be having these scans 3 weekly from 26 weeks? So you'll get to see it a lot!

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Wed 13-Apr-16 20:21:53

Yes you're right about the age reason. New NHS England guidance puts you in a high risk category at 40 so you should have serial scans (usually 3 weekly from 26 weeks) to measure growth and do dopplers. In the Midlands this slashed the stillbirth rate by I think 70%.

Mummyme87 Wed 13-Apr-16 20:30:46

We do uterine artery blood flow routinely in all anomaly scans. Gives good indication of fetal well being, risk factors for stillbirth, high blood pressure and pre eclampsia, intrauterine growth restriction

AveEldon Wed 13-Apr-16 20:32:13

TheDisillusionedAnarchist - do you have a link for the new guidance?

JessieMcJessie Wed 13-Apr-16 21:37:03

Brilliant, thanks Disillusioned. Yes, I am down for scans at 2 week intervals from 26 weeks I think.

JessieMcJessie Wed 13-Apr-16 21:37:30

And Mummyme thanks also!

FourForYouGlenCoco Wed 13-Apr-16 23:37:25

Following this post in the hope you get some more replies!
I had a Doppler scan last week at 23w+ due to 3 previous MC which showed high resistance in one artery so I'm back next Tues for another scan with a consultant (will be 25+4). They had a quick look at baby, did a few measurements to plot on the growth chart things, and then just looked at my blood flow. Was all v v quick, was in and out in under 10 minutes.
The sonographer was rubbish and didn't really tell me anything and it's been very hard to find any coherent info online! I have no other risk factors for pre-e (and BP at 15w appt was 100/60) or IUGR so I'm currently just waiting to see what the next scan brings! Hoping all will be normal, not sure if that's realistic or not!

Mummyme87 Thu 14-Apr-16 06:21:43

Most pregnancies which show increased UAD at 21/40 are normal at 28/40 & 36/40. Although we off routine induction at 41/40

Pagetta Thu 14-Apr-16 22:00:51

i had doppler scan at 23 weeks due a different anomolay that showed at 20 weeks (which turned out to be nothing)
I had high pressure in mine, so they booked me in for scans every 3 weeks as puts me at high risk SFG baby. Essentially, as consultant put it, not as blood is getting to the placenta as should do, so in second half of pregnancy there's a risk the demand from baby will outweight supply from placenta and growth will slow.
i think (if i remember right!) it started at 1.9, at 27 weeks was 1.6 and at 30 weeks, my last scan, pressure was down to 1.2 which is within normal 'acceptable' range. baby is growing absolutely fine - in fact he's currently on track to be much bigger than DS1!
Scan is all very quick and straightforward. Sonographer won't give you much info but consultant should talk you through it all. Our consultant was great and explained the whole thing.
As well as blood flow to placenta, they check flow in baby's brain and to baby's organs.
Although any extra scans can be scary, it is good they keep an eye on it, and if anything happnes they can look at options.
Hope it all goes well for you!

JessieMcJessie Wed 27-Apr-16 16:08:55

Just to say had the scan today and sonographer said that the traces for both uterine arteries looked fine. Bizarrely however she started off by saying it was not normally done till 24 weeks and she had lo idea why my consultant had thought it should be done at 20 or ordered it to be done at 22. Was also nice to see the baby again, get a second confirmation that he is a boy and reassurance that his growth is bang on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now