Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Worried 1st time pregnant

(8 Posts)
Lisa6788 Wed 13-Apr-16 09:05:14

New poster not quite up today's with acronyms!

We have been trying for about 6 months and "seriously" for 3 months or so ... This week I found out I am 4-5weeks pregnant smile throughout I was careful with alcohol and this month I stopped altogether and have been taking folic acid but I didn't know about changing my diet before positive test ... I eat Parma ham/Iberico ham, rare meat and sometimes change the litter tray. I know I had Serrano ham, slightly pink duck and changed the litter (DH away) one week after conception). I have had cats for years and always eaten like this but I understand that's no guarantee of immunity.... I feel terrified and guilty... Is there any chance of the NHS testing me? If not has anyone been privately tested?

I am a scientists and know the risks of Google and can see that chances at this stage of transmission are low - but I stil feel guilty as we were trying - the I didn't know excuse doesn't seem to ring true.

Thanks

HeadTilt Wed 13-Apr-16 10:54:55

For the first week or two the baby doesn't share a blood supply with you, so you don't have the same risks from what you consume as later on. Guidelines vary from country to country on what you can eat because often the evidence is pretty weak that there is a real risk. You'll know that you can't really do research on pregnant women other than epidemiological studies, so a lot of the guidelines are massively over cautious. Commercially produced cured meats are not a high risk and are eaten freely by pregnant women in many countries. Isn't duck meant to be a bit pink? I certainly ate medium steak in my last pregnancy without trouble, and this time have eaten proscuitto a couple of times, forgetting the guidelines. Baby is fine. I have Italians friends who are advised by doctors to eat rare meat, my Japanese SIL followed Japanese advice to eat lots of (raw/lightly cooked) fish rather than UK advice to restrict certain types.

My understanding is that cat owners tend to be immune to toxoplasmosis. Presumably you gave your hands a quick wash afterwards and probably didn't even come into direct skin contact with any cat poop anyway?

It's important to keep a sense of proportion about the risks.

Sanch1 Wed 13-Apr-16 11:26:26

You really have nothing to worry about at this early stage. Obviously try to change what you do from now on but wouldn't be concerned at all about anything you have said. The risks from all these things are incredibly low anyway. Have a look at the NHS website on these matters, its very helpful.

Helbelle75 Wed 13-Apr-16 12:09:52

I didn't think there was much chance I could be pregnant (barely saw DH last month!), and went on holiday with my sister - drank beer, ate shellfish and mayonnaise. I got back, my period was late and that's it! I'm now 5+6. I'm really trying not to think about it and not to feel guilty, I've been taking folic acid for a while, am incredibly fit and healthy and have been avoiding everything I should avoid since suspecting I was pregnant.
Try not to worry, I'm sure most people have been in this position and have perfectly healthy children.
And congratulations!

Lisa6788 Wed 13-Apr-16 18:53:11

Thank you for your congratulations and your calm responses ... It helps a lot! Icongratulations to you as well! I always said I would be calm and rational about things like this but the moment I saw the "pregnant" I couldn't control it!

HeadTilt Wed 13-Apr-16 19:30:45

Welcome to a life of constant low level worrying grin

Stom91 Wed 13-Apr-16 19:56:41

Congrats!
Don't feel guilty. I was pissed as a fart 2 days before I found out I was pregnant with this pregnancy.

And I was drinking cocktails a month before I found out I was pregnant with DD1 lol
She's perfect healthy

Apparently the placenta can't pass things into baby until about 6-8 weeks (couldn't be wrong)
So they baby wouldn't have got anything from you.

Relax and enjoy the pregnancy! Xx

kiki22 Thu 14-Apr-16 09:04:26

Don't worry I had my last period 23rd nov was pregnant without knowing it all over Christmas ate all sorts and drank loads of booze I actually thought I was unwell from over indulging before I clicked I was pregnant. I'm also still changing the litter tray because the poop smell makes me ill. I'm 20 weeks and totally fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now