Advanced search

Vbac questions

(10 Posts)
Beth2511 Tue 12-Apr-16 21:51:41

I had an emcs last time for breech baby, she came before the booked date for elcs and they didnt believe i was in labour until i was ready to push...

Im umming and ahhhing about a vbac. I would love to gove birth naturally but im terrified of another emcs or that feeling of not being listened to. Have some silly questions..

Will they let me go over due?
Will i be allowed to laboir for hours on end?
Will they monitor this baby to see if he is breech too? Midwife thought last time i wasnt built to give birth naturally and being breech was its way of telling me so.

So scared sad

CottonSock Tue 12-Apr-16 21:59:45

I'm in a similar situation, but had emcs last time after long failed and traumatic induction.
My consultant is supportive of my decision to decline a future induction and go for a elective section at 41 weeks if necessary . They are monitoring size of baby and if she's huge I guess we might decide on 39 weeks (I'm very little ). When's your next appointment? Is there anything to suggest a higher chance of breech second time?
I keep going over it all in my head and getting worked up. But...trying not to plan too much. My last birth plan was a water birth with a couple of puffs of gas n air if necessary smile not quite how it happened, but all was well in the end (baby out and safe)

AKP79 Wed 13-Apr-16 14:37:44

Really interested in responses to this post. I had an emcs last time with DS. Like you OP, he was also breach. I was actually trying for a breach delivery, but it didn't progress. During the emcs they discovered his cord was only 5-6inches long so he was never going to get out. Labour was extremely traumatic, but I'd still like to give a VBAC a go. Would love to know what the responses are to your questions.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Wed 13-Apr-16 14:43:22

At my hospital
- no inductions for vbacs- if you go over dates they offer to inflate a balloon in your cervix (!) or do a sweep to try and get things moving, but no proper inductions
- I was told you don't labour for more than twelve hours, but I don't know when the clock starts ticking
- continuous monitoring is strongly recommended, but they have wireless waterproof monitors so you can be mobile and go into the pool
- augmentation of labour is rarely offered
- I will have a scan at 35 weeks then an appt to decide, so I can take into account baby's size on the scan

kaymondo Wed 13-Apr-16 14:44:07

I had EMCS for DS1 after a failed induction at 42 weeks.

With DS2 I didn't want to be induced again as I felt that if my body wasn't ready naturally then induction would fail again, but was willing to try for a VBAC if labour started on its own. My consultant allowed me to go to 41 weeks - labour didn't start so I had a very calm ELCS, which was a much more positive experience than my first birth.

Although I didn't have a VBAC I was told that if I had gone into labour then I would have had to have continual fetal monitoring and wouldn't have been able to use a birthing pool.

AliceInHinterland Wed 13-Apr-16 14:46:14

Since when do breech babies mean you're not built to give birth?! It just sounds unlucky to me.

2under2aagh Wed 13-Apr-16 15:01:35

ask for a planned c section!

I've had 2 and will be having a 3rd
One was planned one was emcs

You already have the scar and they will cut beside your old scar

Emcs took longer to heal than the planned one did but emcs was traumatic as it happened so fast.

Ask for a planned c section. They can only say no but might agree to it

BettyBi0 Wed 13-Apr-16 15:11:08

I had to have a planned ELCS first time. This time I'm hoping to try for a VBAC. The guidance from my consultant (not sure if hospital policy or just based on my age, 38, and personal health, good, etc) is as follows:

No induction or augmentation drugs to start labour or give it a push if it's stalling
No going over due date
Low threshold for moving onto c-section if not progressing in labour
Any pain around the scar and they move straight to section

They are happy to help me have a go at VBAC if I go into labour spontaneously before my due date but that is it.

Easier said than done but try and erase that midwife's stupid comment from your memory. Just because your first baby was breech doesn't mean there is anything anatomically different about your body.

2under2aagh Wed 13-Apr-16 16:12:51

I think the fact that her labour wasn't progressing and pelvis is too small is what the midwife was referring to
It's called cpd

There are actually anatomical reasons why some people can't give birth

Havetobecrazytolivehere Wed 13-Apr-16 21:01:37

Hi Beth, I don't know if I can answer your questions but am happy to share my experience.
I had an elcs with my first and was keen to try for a vbac with my second, he was 8 days overdue and I was actually booked in for a stretch and sweep the day he was born. My labour lasted about 32 hours and the pushing stage was just over two hours. I have no memory of them monitoring me, which I believe was a failing on their part but most of my labour was at home and I arrived on labour ward fully dilated (I had no idea how far I was). I had to have an episiotomy in the end as he had a huge head but did manage a natural birth. I had a breech baby first time round but wasn't offered any extra scans although he wasn't breech in fact it was a really boring pregnancy. I did a lot of reading around the vbac but did prepare myself for it ending in a emcs. Think you have to weigh up all the risks and benefits involved but keep an open mind as things can come up late in the pregnancy. I hope you get all the support and advice you need from your midwives. Have you been referred to the vbac midwife yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now