Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

One of those threads - think I'm going mad

(15 Posts)
forgivemeimanidiot Tue 12-Apr-16 16:35:39

Firstly, forgive me if this is a really stupid question but I feel like I'm going a bit mad.
I'm not trying for a baby so this isn't one of those cases where I'm hoping to see something that isn't there .
DH and I had unprotected sex (accident, which makes me feel like an epic failure of a grown up haha) two weeks ago. According to my period tracking app it was 5 days before my 'fertile window' was due to start so I thought I'd be in the clear. In the last week I've started feeling really sick - and been sick on a few occasions, although always in the evening/at night not in the morning. I've also been really bloated, felt shattered and headachey/dizzy and generally not right. I have to keep having a sit down/lie down because I feel shaky and weird. I was a little worried so took a pregnancy test even though I was thinking it's too early just because once I'd got the idea in the my head I couldn't get rid of it! It was a clear blue digital and came out negative. My period isn't due til Monday, so I guess I'll have to test again then. What I'm really asking I guess - and sorry for all the ramble - is if anyone has got pregnant at that period in their cycle before?! And if that was too early to test? I know all I can do is wait it out, and I know I probably sound hugely irresponsible for the slip up but if I did turn out to be pregnant would be perfectly happy with the outcome, married, was going to start a family in a few months so the timing would just be a little bit out.....but it's the negative test and the weird symptoms I've got that are making me feel a bit mad!

forgivemeimanidiot Tue 12-Apr-16 16:38:38

Oh cripes just realised I have posted this in completely the wrong section, I am so sorry for any offence caused!! Will report.

WellErrr Tue 12-Apr-16 16:41:50

Clear blues are crap. You need a pink dye first response.

Hope you get the result you want flowers

forgivemeimanidiot Tue 12-Apr-16 16:43:00

Thanks WellErr I was under the impression they were good'uns - just goes to show how woefully misinformed I am! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

forgivemeimanidiot Tue 12-Apr-16 17:53:30

I think I'm going to get a first response test like you suggested - just looked them up so thanks

1moretime Tue 12-Apr-16 18:34:47

Hello there..
from what Iv read sperm can live 4-5 days and then fertilise an egg. So i think there is a chance you could be.
I agree the pink dye tests are the most responsive. Not sure if you would get a bfp just yet but be worth doing one at the weekend or Monday if your period doesn't arrive.
just to add with my first pregnancy I was being sick 4 days before my missed period so already had a feeling before the positive test.
Good luck hope it turns out how you want it xx

Artioo2 Tue 12-Apr-16 19:29:03

I've never used a period tracking app, but if it's based on just entering the dates of your periods, it can't reliably predict ovulation - you could ovulate slightly earlier or later in a cycle. And sperm can live for a while after sex, as has been said. So yes, it's possible.

forgivemeimanidiot Tue 12-Apr-16 20:14:06

thanks everyone, I thought it was just me jumping to conclusions. And yes the tracker app just does it based on periods and my cycles vary from 28 to 38 days. I just dont feel right. This week I've felt so sick to the point where I'm gagging but it goes away if I eat. And an embarrassing amount of wind (tmi?). I'm now lying on the sofa ready to go to bed! I will see what happens with my period, might be a coincidence and I'm just coming down with something! Thanks for listening to my ramblings, I just wasnt sure it was possible!

Artioo2 Tue 12-Apr-16 20:25:20

If your cycles are irregular, then it's even more likely the tracking app could be out - as I understand it, the length of time between ovulation and your next period, your luteal phase, tends to be the same each month, so it's ovulation that's the variable. A short cycle month would be the result of ovulating earlier.

forgivemeimanidiot Tue 12-Apr-16 20:46:59

True Artie I have to confess I get really confused with cycles/luteal phases etc which is why I wondered.

forgivemeimanidiot Tue 12-Apr-16 21:26:11

I think I'm now slightly obsessing. someone give me a friendly slap.

forgivemeimanidiot Wed 13-Apr-16 15:55:56

well I did a first response test and it came back negative, so maybe it's just a bug after all. Will see if my period turns up Monday, I guess it could also be too early for a test to pick up.

thecatsarecrazy Wed 13-Apr-16 22:32:04

If your not due til Monday its far too early to test. You will just have to wait it out smile

thecatsarecrazy Wed 13-Apr-16 22:34:18

My period tracker told me I was 5 days late once and I wasn't at all

forgivemeimanidiot Fri 15-Apr-16 13:25:51

Thanks thecats - I thought first response were supposed to be able to detect up to 6 days prior to period? But I will test again if AF doesn't arrive on Monday. Symptoms seemed to have eased off a bit but am still feeling bone tired/headachey and queasy on and off. Will soon find out I suppose!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now