Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Haven't pooed in 3 days...

(15 Posts)
lightcola Mon 11-Apr-16 13:16:38

HELP! I'm only 4 weeks pregnant but can probably count on one hand how many times I have been for a number 2 in the last couple of weeks. I used to be an every morning kind of girl. It's not overly uncomfortable but it is making me quite bloated. I'm drinking water and eating lots of fruit and veg...any other tips? I don't remember it being like this last time. I haven't even started taking multi vitamins yet so can't even blame that.

buttermilkpie Mon 11-Apr-16 15:22:56

I bought Califig from Boots, had 2 spoonfuls in the evening and went the next morning

www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/seven-seas-califig-syrup-of-figs-55ml?langId=44&storeId=10151&krypto=eGDij6JMOeSGdMUkZ6uN4lM0CtKQVBZHW2Gc72QQwj7XamGTq%2BpVAMz5wNEnnLB%2BB5Xs2ebFWyksBfYz5BQbJEYwSKOMTwzmME5YUmsk3JM3yAzWvjh%2BEy60uvhMV04cD8Rdv66S7cOM0%2B%2F3AfLQYpJgNDPs3wWO6RBA9kTQje0%3D&ddkey=http%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Fseven-seas-califig-syrup-of-figs-55ml

Frostycake Mon 11-Apr-16 15:25:02

Eat a pack of sugar free gum. Goes through you in hours.

QforCucumber Mon 11-Apr-16 15:25:18

Fibogel! I lived on it when pregnant, could definitely tell when I missed a few days

CityMole Mon 11-Apr-16 16:49:11

I messed about for weeks on lactulose, prune juice, fybogel, husks, other fruit concoctions, with small degrees of success, before finally accepting that certain types of pregnancy constipation defy all normal advice and need some big guns.

Movicol sachets (at least 2 a day) and glycerine suppositories were my eventual saviour at around the 16 weeks point. I've been fine ever since. I just wish I'd used them from the very start, I could have saved myself from some awful piles.

riddles26 Mon 11-Apr-16 17:55:16

I had the same problem in my first few weeks, to the point where it was making my nausea worse. I went to GP with the intention of getting a prescription for Movicol but she was reluctant but said she prefers for it to resolve naturally. She advised apples and pears, which I have 2 of each morning. I've also been having 2-3 other pieces of fruit, a small glass of prune juice and lots of fluids and it has worked. Took a few days to fully settle initially but is much better now.

My recommendation would be to try the natural approach with other suggestions and if it still doesn't work, some women will always need medication.

cheapredwine Mon 11-Apr-16 19:18:01

Movicol, no question. Over the counter, safe in pregnancy. Also called Macrogol or Laxido.

FifiRebel Mon 11-Apr-16 20:42:57

Take a few spoonfuls of flax seed a couple of times a day (with water). Flax and lactulose sorted me out earlier in pregnancy!

StarkyTheDirewolf Mon 11-Apr-16 20:53:23

I had a bassets licorice wand, not recommended for everyday eating as far as I can tell after I'd eaten it but it took about 20 minutes and then oh the relief!

lightcola Mon 11-Apr-16 22:21:21

Thank you everyone. You may or not like to know that after a long relaxing sit on the throne I was able to relieve the build up. I will make sure I up my fruit intake more and look out for some of the products mentioned above ready for next time.

Beansprout30 Mon 11-Apr-16 22:54:48

grin bet you feel great now cola! All-bran never fails for me

novemberchild Tue 12-Apr-16 00:17:20

I so feel your pain. I cracked and shopped for Fybogel earlier. Nothing yet.

Also got the bum torpedo things but am afraid to use them just yet smile

lightcola Tue 12-Apr-16 09:59:33

I went again this morning, it was heaven. Hope the Fybogel works for you soon Novemberchild

novemberchild Tue 12-Apr-16 10:39:06

Thanks! What a thread smile

The struggle is real!!

Frostycake Tue 12-Apr-16 13:17:57

Hurrah! can't believe I'm applauding a poo

Be warned OP, if you use Movicol, it can have the unfortunate side effect of giving you tremendous gas and hugely extended abdomen.

< voice of experience >

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now