Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Iron Tablets...again

(19 Posts)
Julieb85 Sun 10-Apr-16 18:56:52

I posted a couple of weeks so about struggling to keep iron tablets down. I've since had a change in medication but the same thing is happening and it's making me absolutely miserable. I know I have a severe iron deficiency (I'm aneamic most of the time - but worse when preg) but no one has explained to me what this means for the baby...does anyone know if there are risks/issues with having low iron? Trying to understand whether I need to just put up with this and accept that I'm going to be vomiting all through this pregnancy - or whether I can stop taking them...

greatbigwho Sun 10-Apr-16 19:07:53

Spatone is what you need. It's brilliant stuff and doesn't affect the stomach in the same way.

Julieb85 Tue 12-Apr-16 16:24:41

Thanks. Finally got spatone and started mixing with my orange juice today! It was £12 for 28 sachets! Did you take 2 a day or just the one? The pharmacist said one but just noticed the back of the pack...

fuzzywuzzy Tue 12-Apr-16 16:30:39

If you're anaemic take two sachets a day.

I take floradix. Don't get on with tabs either.

If you're anaemic it does cause problems when you give birth for you.
Don't think it affects baby as they're like leeches and take everything they need from you, but if you're severely anaemic it could cause a low birth weight.

Drink oj with your meals to help absorb the iron in your food.

katienana Tue 12-Apr-16 16:33:28

Shouldn't you be getting this on prescription?
I'm not sure about the impact of low iron on the baby but generally baby gets what it needs first and you get what's left. So it will usually be your health that suffers. It could have an impact when you give birth if you haemorrhage you may need a transfusion.

Fjlb Tue 12-Apr-16 16:47:20

Was given tablets and really ill, had spatone suggested and not looked back. Midwife did say they're not as good as the tablets, but I feel so much better on them. So will be interested to see next blood test results.
I recommend apple ones!

Fjlb Tue 12-Apr-16 16:49:01

P.s take two sachets

Julieb85 Tue 12-Apr-16 17:05:06

Thanks all - I'll take 2 sachets then. I'm in Scotland and we can't get them on prescription sadly although I may speak to midwife and see what she says. So it's £30 a month on them, but worth it if I can get through the day without being sick! I'm not sure if I'll get another blood test - I don't remember with DS1 - but I'm interested to see if these do the trick.

Julieb85 Tue 12-Apr-16 17:12:08

I'm not actually sure how 'low' my levels are...I pretty much just got a letter in post saying 'recent bloods show you are low in iron - your family doctor has been instructed to provide a prescription for supplements'. That's all I got. No discussion around impact, or levels.

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Tue 12-Apr-16 17:38:13

I've been anaemic in both pregnancies. The main problem is that if you hemorrhage you will become poorly very quickly as you don't have enough iron in reserve. In my case I was advised that they wouldn't recommend a home birth unless my iron went above a certain level.

Depending on your levels, spatone/floradix may be enough, but they aren't as strong as the prescribed ones. I took the prescribed ones but (with my midwife's agreement) only took half of the dose. I also took floradix and ate iron rich food and my levels went back up again.

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Tue 12-Apr-16 17:40:27

I would phone them up and find out your levels so that you can make an informed choice. If they are just under then spatone might be enough, if they are really low then I'd take the prescribed tablets.

redexpat Tue 12-Apr-16 18:40:13

A good question to ask is what are my options? There's always options but they've usually decided what's best for you. It's a very good way to unlock information. Another good phrase is I'm not happy with that. Like when you get a letter telling you what will happen rather than a discussion about what could happen.

FreedomMummy Tue 12-Apr-16 18:42:20

I used to take spartone and I got it delivered from Amazon which makes it a lot cheaper...although that was a few years ago but may be worth a look.

FreedomMummy Tue 12-Apr-16 18:44:27

I've found it but can't remember how to do a click link, sorry!

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00EYDK2F2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1460482958&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=spatone&dpPl=1&dpID=41YoWzOulCL&ref=plSrch

cheapredwine Tue 12-Apr-16 20:41:10

You can't generally (at all?) get Spatone on prescription. OP you can get them 3 for 2 from Boots if that helps. With the tablets I found ferrous sulphate utterly evil and lasted 2 days on them, but am now on ferrous fumarate and it's early days but think might cope on these ones touch wood. Think GPs often start with sulphate as it's the cheapest? That could be bollocks though...

Julieb85 Wed 13-Apr-16 10:37:01

Redwine: I was the opposite, started on fumarate and then ended up on sulphate. Both evil! When I spoke to pharmacist apparently the fumarate/sulphate is just the compound the iron is mixed with - so it's clearly the iron I'm having issues with. Apparently although you take 2 or 3 tablets a day the amount your body actually absorbs is minimal - so fingers crossed the midwife is happy with me just taking spatone. I'm on sachet no 4 and no sickness! Yay

cheapredwine Wed 13-Apr-16 19:07:46

Ah great news you seem to be coping with the Spatone julie I was dreading the fumarate but so far is ok - am only doing 1 every other day though and carrying in with 2 Spatone. We'll see...

OhWhatAPalaver Wed 13-Apr-16 23:17:07

Ferrous sulphate is evil! I've been on fumerate for a few months now and so far so good. Although my iron levels haven't risen significantly so I may start taking spatone again as well, it wasn't doing the job by itself, hence having to take the fumerate. The midwives should do regular blood tests to check your iron levels throughout your pregnancy so you should be able to make a more informed decision on whether you'll need to up the dosage or not. Also, they'll have you're initial results on file so you can always ask what your levels are. Ask about your iron stores as well, good luck smile

katienana Thu 14-Apr-16 07:37:54

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned take them with orange juice, avoid tea and plenty of green veg and red meat too. Oh and prunes or something to help with constipation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now