Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does this sound like low iron to you?

(14 Posts)
shelbTa Sun 10-Apr-16 11:02:43

Hi

Finally got my 12 week bloodwork back (I'm 20 weeks now...) - I wasn't anaemic but my iron levels were 118, the cut off is 107 apparently.

Anyway, my hair is falling out by the bucketload, I'm always cold, white as a sheet, and sometimes a little breathless.

That could all just be pregnancy related of course - but wondering whether to take an additional iron supplement like Spatone in addition to normal vitamin (which does include iron). Would it hurt? 10 day wait to see docs or I'd ask him.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks

X

Junosmum Sun 10-Apr-16 11:14:06

Sounds like underactive thyroid or low iron or vitamin deficiency to me. I'd definitely speak to the gp about it. Following birth my iron level was 89, which is really low but my only symptom was tiredness and dull skin.

ToastyMcToastface Sun 10-Apr-16 11:36:40

Hmm, wondering why my GP insists my iron is fine with a level of 29. hmm
Taking more iron won't do any harm, I prefer ferroglobin liquid to spatone. You could be low in vitamin d or b12, they both could be causing those symptoms. I'd go back and ask for further tests. Don't assume it's just pregnancy related, it could or could not.

shelbTa Sun 10-Apr-16 11:38:26

Thanks a lot both.

Toasty - think maybe different places do different readings?

I might take a supplement then if it doesn't do any harm.

X

Luckystar1 Sun 10-Apr-16 11:40:04

Toast - I'm nearly sure that the readings (historically) were taken in the 100s but aren't now, so your 29 is actually 129 - I think!!

ShowOfHands Sun 10-Apr-16 11:42:44

Here they still do them the old way. After my emcs, mine was 6!

Usually it's 11.

You need to see your GP op. Could be a few things and you obviously feel diabolical so need a once over.

cheapredwine Sun 10-Apr-16 11:48:23

Spatone is safe to take. It's not cheap but you can get it on 3 for 2 at Boots. I'd go for the apple one, tastes relatively ok.

Kitkatmonster Sun 10-Apr-16 16:24:47

I started taking spa tone after my 16 week appt as mw checked booking blood results and found iron was low. Not low enough to treat now but she advised increasing intake to try and avoid it dropping too much and needing treatment after the next blood test. I take 1-2 sachets a day in orange juice and am trying to eat more spinach, red meat etc but not a red meat fan normally. It won't do any harm to take.

shelbTa Sun 10-Apr-16 17:12:29

Thanks ladies

Hopelass Sun 10-Apr-16 17:17:13

Your symptoms sound identical to mine. I'm 11 weeks now and on iron supplements as I was anaemic.

shelbTa Sun 10-Apr-16 17:22:17

Thanks ladies

shelbTa Sun 10-Apr-16 18:55:17

Posted same twice!

Really hopelass, that's interesting, thanks.

X

shelbTa Tue 19-Apr-16 14:10:00

Hi ladies

I got new iron text done - results back and my reading was 11.8, the cut off for iron is 10.5.

To me that seems low, but midwife said its fine and not to take a supplement.

Any thoughts?

X

1frenchfoodie Tue 19-Apr-16 14:25:53

11.8 not low so doubr it is worth booking with supplements unless it was historically much higher and you feel it has dropped. I was put on supplements at 10.6/106 at wk21 but only cause it was 13.8/138 at week 12.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now