Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First time mum to be - help please - vests

(36 Posts)
MyMrKnightley Sun 10-Apr-16 08:50:58

Trying to spread the cost of buying (plus want to buy something after first scan soon).

Vests confuse me, so a baby wears one under a baby grow, but in November will I need long or short sleeve on my newborn? Will I need both for some reason?

Are they used in any other way, because I'm confused about why I'd spend more money for colourful/patterned ones if they'll never get seen as they are under a babygrow.

Thanks for any advice on this and any other things not to waste money on.

OceanView Sun 10-Apr-16 08:52:17

I used vests for under clothes. And sleep suits at bedtime.

LBOCS2 Sun 10-Apr-16 08:56:32

I would buy a selection of vests in long and short sleeves, they'll both go under a baby grow, and not bother buying 'outfits' at all - you'll get them as gifts and babies look really uncomfortable in them until they're big enough to sit up themselves. Primark is surprisingly good for multipacks of

Beth2511 Sun 10-Apr-16 08:56:46

We use vests underneath clothes, vary short and long sleeve depends on temp.

Dd is a november baby and was so tiny she spent most her first 3 months in a long sleeve vest and sleep suit. Wouldnt bother with actual clothes until they can at least support their heads as they spend so much time sleeping and being sick!

LeonoraFlorence Sun 10-Apr-16 08:58:05

I have 4 DDs. I bought a mixture of short and long for DD1 (winter baby) and carefully calculated her size according to season, but as it turned out, I mostly used the sleeveless vests (of which I had initially bought none!) as she was very sweaty by the time she was about a month old and I felt they were more comfortable! Her temperature was very low at birth and for a couple of weeks after so I had the long sleeved ones on then. I tend always to wear a knitted cardigan on babies so that gives an extra layer on arms. I just bought the same for subsequent DDs and have had no issues. I've found next vests to be best.
The only time I use patterned vests has been in warm weather, mostly on holiday if that's all they're wearing smile

LBOCS2 Sun 10-Apr-16 08:58:16

Sorry, posted too soon!

... Multipacks of soft basics, babygrows, vests, etc. Mothercare can be a bit expensive and bleh (IMO) - for the same price you could go to M&S and their patterns tend to be nicer. Boots have some nice bits in at the moment too.

Artandco Sun 10-Apr-16 08:58:54

I just used short sleeves vests. The long sleeve are a pain under sleepsuits as arms often roll up and uncomfortable. Add cardigan when cold

TimeOfGlass Sun 10-Apr-16 09:01:55

Vests under clothes here too, changing between short and long depending on temperature.

When the weather was warm and the DC were big enough to not wear sleep suits all the time, we sometimes put our DC in a vest and a pair of trousers without a t-shirt over the top, so you could see the pattern on the vest then.

AliensInUnderpants12 Sun 10-Apr-16 09:03:01

I've had two winter babies and I've tended to use short sleeve vests underneat babygrows. I found plain white vests from M&S good value and can be tumble dried. If the baby needs an extra layer I would then add a knitted cardigan.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 10-Apr-16 09:04:15

I use short and long sleeve under babygro but also patterned long sleeve under dungarees, which both my ds have worn daily from the age of birth to about 2.5 years. We have a round tummy/short leg combo in our genes that means trousers are virtually useless as they are the wrong size and uncomfortable. I bought a few pairs of dungarees in each size for ds1 and now ds2 is wearing them and use short sleeve/long sleeve vest underneath. This keeps everything all tucked in with no extra fabric bunched up. Also, people will buy you lots of stuff, but my advice would be to return them and swap for one more expensive item that will get lots of use, rather than several 'bits'

Artandco Sun 10-Apr-16 09:04:27

I liked the John Lewis organic vests

Dungandbother Sun 10-Apr-16 09:09:21

For me, primarily, vests purpose is to keep the nappy in the right place.

So it's for under clothes, and always on. I didn't use long ones under baby grows. Short sleeves or sleeveless in summer.

I used long sleeve ones as tops tho, plain or patterned. With leggings or trousers. And add a cardy.

stiffstink Sun 10-Apr-16 09:16:39

I agree about long sleeved vests being a faff, better to add an extra outer layer.

I work on the basis that the baby should wear one layer more than me (except in summer when its hot).

I've returned most outfits and swapped than for bigger sizes. DD is 8 weeks old and has worn clothes on just 2 occasions, the rest of the time she is in a vest, sleepsuit and sometimes a cardigan (swapping the cardigan for a pram suit if we're going out).

Someone years ago questioned why DS was "wearing pyjamas during the day" - he was about 3 weeks old and wearing a sleepsuit, what else would he want to sleep in?!

SlinkyB Sun 10-Apr-16 09:17:16

Vests for under everything here (two kids). Don't they say small babies should always wear one more layer than you?

As you rarely see them, I tended to stick to supermarket multipacks. Also, if you stick to plain white you can put them on a super hot wash with other whites and not worry about colour running or fading (you'll need to wash at a decent temp to have a fighting chance of getting the poo stains out!).

Dixiechick17 Sun 10-Apr-16 10:26:54

Our flat gets quite cold so in winter my DD had a long sleeved vest under her babygrow at night. Newborns where vests under babygrows for the first few days in summer due to their body temp not beinf quite regulated yet. I had a mix of short sleeve and sleeveless for summer, handy for particularly hot days to wear on their own.

JayDot500 Sun 10-Apr-16 13:20:56

My baby was born in January. I've three packs of unused long sleeve vests I'm going to donate. Same with gro bags. When I bought them I hadn't factored in that my house is the same temperature as a Mediterranean summer, without much effort. It's a well insulated house and a little heat goes a long way. So when I have my next, it's just short sleeve vests all the way. How is the temperature in your house most days, and nights? Also, will you be going outdoor much? I didn't until recently (only the mandatory appointments etc), and when I went out, his jacket, clothes and blankets were more than enough. He lived in sleep suits, with a short sleeved vest underneath for most Feb, March.

I'd say if you're unsure, buy a pack of all types and see if you use it. I bought from many different high street stores, and found the John Lewis vests are huge compared to m&S, and m&S sizes were comparatively larger than Tesco, mothercare etc. So check the weights too. Now my son is a proper little Chunker, so he is on 3 month clothes (he is just over two months) after having been born an average 6.5 lbs, so the bigger vests were useful to have sitting there waiting (despite the fact I cursed them initially when I needed a vest and realised that although the JL ones were labelled the same size as the Tesco ones, my son was swallowed whole in them).

This mum thing is like a game of cards. Good luck.

KP86 Sun 10-Apr-16 13:37:37

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned, but make sure you get the ones with clips at the bottom so it doesn't roll up baby's back.

Short and long sleeved are useful. And yes to only buying babygros. Don't bother with anything else, it's sooo much simpler this way!

A good rule of thumb is dress baby in one more layer than you in winter and one less layer in summer. And remember when going inside (eg. walking around a shopping centre or in coffee shop) if you take your coat off then take baby's coat off as well! So easy to forget if baby is still in the pram.

TheCrumpettyTree Sun 10-Apr-16 13:58:52

I only ever use long sleeved ones under dungarees. Short sleeves vests get worn by my DC under baby gros and all clothing, until they're potty trained as it holds the nappy in. My 20 month old still wears vests. You may not need them in the summer though.

MyMrKnightley Sun 10-Apr-16 14:30:27

My house is fairly cold at night - maybe cos I'm stingy with the heating, probably will have it on much more with baby around. So sounds like I'll need long sleeve ones at night and maybe short in the day. Not planning on outfits to begin with.

So does baby basically wear the same thing at night vest and babygrow and then blanket?

Pram suit? Isn't this a pain if you're going in and out shops? Can you just use cardie and then blankets in the pram bit, its not like they can fall out like pushchairs. Or am I missing something?

Lucked Sun 10-Apr-16 14:40:03

I hated big puffy pramsuits but I did find finer material ones which could be used in a car seat and topped up with blankets in the pram useful as I didn't have to worry about waking baby up to undress if we went into a cafe and also baby getting too cold if they kicked off blankets in the pram and I didn't notice right away ( can happen esp if under rain cover) etc

With vests I bought cheap when they are little and changing size every few months, but once a bit older and getting more wear I switched to next which I love the cut of and they are fantastic quality - dd wears ds's old white ones and they are as good as new.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sun 10-Apr-16 14:49:40

Can I also suggest tights instead of socks? Much warmer, plus utterly bloody baby socks are a nightmare for falling off/getting lost. I carried on using tights under trousers until my DS were well past one.

Noodledoodledoo Sun 10-Apr-16 14:55:24

I used mainly short sleeve vests under clothes and babygros for bedtime.

Did get some long sleeved ones but they were to extend the life of some summer clothes that still fit when it got colder but were short sleeves! Went for the layer look plus added a cardi as necessary!

Pram suits I had the puffy ones for walks, sling wearing, days out when mainly outside. Never worn in buggy in town we had little pram jackets and a blanket under the foot muff on the buggy/pram. If I walked into town I would use pram suit then take it off as I went in and out of places, but my little one hats being hot - takes her hat and gloves off as soon as we walk through a door/into a shopping centre - often refuses to wear gloves at all - I am the same though!

TheCrumpettyTree Sun 10-Apr-16 14:58:16

I never took my ds out of his pramsuit to go in and out of shops, unless we stopped in a cafe. He is a Feb baby and it snowed just after he was born. Never used blankets as we have a bugaboo bee with a cocoon, he was very snug.

The general rule as pp have said is one more layer than you, and no hats indoors as they can overheat.

MyMrKnightley Sun 10-Apr-16 15:00:42

ladymonica love it! Not sure what husband will say if we have a boy smile

MyMrKnightley Sun 10-Apr-16 15:05:24

thecrumpettyTree cocoon - just googled is this instead of using the carrycot bit? If so is there an advantage of these over the carrycot? Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now