Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Constipation - need help!

(15 Posts)
novemberchild Sat 09-Apr-16 22:45:32

How do I cure constipation? I have terrible, terrible embarrassing gas but I can't 'go' properly and feel terrible.

Am 12 weeks. What can I do to sort it out fast??

SophieVictoria1213 Sat 09-Apr-16 22:48:08

Poor you!
I'm the same at 10 weeks.
I find warm orange juice helps? Could give that a try?

AnUtterIdiot Sat 09-Apr-16 22:48:36

Prune juice?

CityMole Sat 09-Apr-16 23:19:30

Movicol sachets and glycerine suppositories (a two-pronged attack!)

sepa Sat 09-Apr-16 23:31:28

Fybogel helps me. Orange flavour is the nicest(?) taste but still doesn't taste that great

AutumnRose1988 Sun 10-Apr-16 07:35:57

I was terribly constipated for about three weeks. I went to the doctors and was reluctant to take the laxido orange he gave me as I remembered, after I got out, that I have had some bad reactions to orange flavour stuff.

I have had bad gas and the urge to go but very little for nearly the past month!

So, two nights a go I went to the supermarket in a bid to really kick start everything. I bought prune juice, prunes, figs, orange juice, activia yogurts and came home.

I have been eating dried fruit quite a bit and drink orange juice anyway but 2 large glasses of prune juice for 2 days has really helped. It's not completely rectified the problem yet but it's got a lot better.

Prune juice was on the fruit juice aisle with the longer life orange juice-really helped x

cheapredwine Sun 10-Apr-16 08:28:38

Movicol - safe in pregnancy, buy over the counter. But it will not be instantaneous, will take a day or two. Nothing with senna in though (the quick working ones) as can theoretically cause uterine contractions. Lactulose is another safe option (over the counter) but if you're already windy I'd avoid it. I find all bran mixed with porridge and hot milk helps, plus dried fruit , lots of fluids. Good luck!

cheapredwine Sun 10-Apr-16 08:29:55

autumn you can get flavour-free and lemon-lime Movicol which is same stuff as Laxido if that helps?

BathshebaDarkstone Sun 10-Apr-16 08:31:35

I'm sorry to say that mine was cured with hospital baked beans when I went in for my induction. sad

AutumnRose1988 Sun 10-Apr-16 09:30:45

cheapredwine. That does help huni - thank you :-)

Do the laxatives cause cramping before hand though?? X

socktastic Sun 10-Apr-16 09:40:54

At 28 weeks I'm still suffering but have found that daily weetabix gets me moving a bit more easily.

cheapredwine Sun 10-Apr-16 11:05:00

Autumn no, Movicol has never caused any cramping at all for me. It works by sucking water into the poo in the bowel - which is why you need to drink lots. Lactulose can be a bit more unpredictable and urgent in terms of how it works in my experience. The ones that cause cramps are generally senna-based which you shouldn't be using.

shelbTa Sun 10-Apr-16 11:07:17

Raw carrots - swear by it. Someone told me to eat them and I've had no constipation since.

X

Healthyme15 Wed 13-Apr-16 15:19:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DragonboysMum Wed 13-Apr-16 15:22:30

Another vote for prune juice. Only that worked during my last pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now