Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bump measuring small at 27.5 weeks- worried :(

(20 Posts)
Chattycat78 Sat 09-Apr-16 19:51:02

Hi all,

The midwife has measured my bump and tells me that it only measures 22.5 weeks instead of 27. This has scared the shit out of me and I have to have a growth scan on mondaysad. I do know that the baby is sitting transverse, which according to the obstetrician could be the reason for the small measuring bump. Heartbeat etc seems to be fine. I'm also petite and only 5 ft 2 although I have no idea if this has any bearing on anything.

I'm very scared that something could be wrong now. Anyone else experienced this?

DropYourSword Sat 09-Apr-16 20:02:21

I was the other way round, I measured 6cm larger!! Growth scan was all fine, they said it was probably to do with the baby's position. Am now almost 37 weeks and am now measuring correctly for dates.
I know it's easy for me to say, but try not to worry about it just yet. There's lots of variables in pregnancy.

SpecialStains Sat 09-Apr-16 20:03:59

No experience, just sympathy. I'm 21 weeks and still very small - people kindly comment on it constantly. I'm having extra third trimester growth scans for a different issue. Hopefully, yours will just be that baby is lying in a different way and you'll be worried over nothing! I know how hard it is waiting for scans though.

flowers good luck.

RandomMess Sat 09-Apr-16 20:06:08

Yes baby position will make a big difference and yes you need a scan to see how things are really.

The idea of bump measuring is just for them to see that the baby is growing and hasn't suddenly stopped etc.

It is fallible though. I'm 5' - I measured 38 at 42+2 weeks and then delivered 10lb6oz baby... I always measured on the small size even though when I stood up I looked huge and strangers kept asking if I were having twins when they asked my due date!

Beth2511 Sat 09-Apr-16 20:14:33

I was tiny throughout with dd, i meadured way way behind, never need maternity clothes and gave birth still in size 10 clothes. She was a perfect 6lb 5oz.

Please try not to worry

Gungdjur Sat 09-Apr-16 20:16:52

I had the same issue from the same stage and my son was fine but when I went past due date my waters disappeared and I had to be induced. After delivery my placenta looked fine and he's perfectly healthy - no harm getting extra reassurance scans. These extra scans picked up the waters issue for me.
My son was really low down which I think is why I measured small.

FifiRebel Sat 09-Apr-16 20:18:19

Hi chattycat - I suspect I might be in the same boat as you, I'm 24 weeks and my bump is tiny. I have a midwife appointment tomorrow so will let you know if I'm in the same boat...

Chattycat78 Sat 09-Apr-16 20:23:56

Thanks guys. I know it's possible it's nothing but it's very hard not to worry. sad

Quodlibet Sat 09-Apr-16 20:42:16

I was the same - my bump last time consistently meAsured way behind and I had 2 growth scans. But she was just deep inside my abdomen. Born full term and 6.2lb. Please try not to worry, it's very common especially if you are of slim build.

Luckystar1 Sat 09-Apr-16 20:51:11

I measured small with DS, he was 8lb 11oz, I'm even smaller this time (unbelievably!) but I'm not in the slightest bit worried. Everyone in our nct group was very slim (with the exception of 2 of the women who were average size) and all of us 'slim' ladies measured behind.

Gungdjur Sat 09-Apr-16 20:55:26

I forgot to say that my guy was half an ounce under 9 pounds! Definitely not small. Seriously - it shouldn't be anything urgent especially if you're feeling baby moving etc

Spandexpants007 Sat 09-Apr-16 20:59:56

I was 6 weeks behind. My baby was born full term weighing 6-11. Got a 10 on the apgar scale - so very healthy

skankingpiglet Sat 09-Apr-16 22:30:57

I was measured at 25cm and 28+1wks this week and have also been referred for a scan on Monday. I'm not particularly worried as I had a different midwife take the measurements and I'm sure she was holding the bottom of the tape too high, and the baby is currently oblique. Plus in my last pregnancy they told me I was measuring small on the scans (nothing was ever mentioned as wrong with my fundal height measurement) but DD was born at 39+5wks and 7lb 4oz. Weirdly my bump is much bigger this time so I was surprised it was a concern.

I'm just looking at it as an opportunity to see the baby again, and to make sure this one is the right way up. I'm paranoid about having another breech!

lljkk Sun 10-Apr-16 08:54:02

yes, happened to me with DC 4. Luckily it was DC4 & I had learnt by then to never get excited unless I was rushed into casualty (I wasn't). I didn't even bother to bring DH to the growth scan.

It's a great scan. Full colour and chasing the blood flow around the placenta & the fetus (heart & all). Lots of other close up views. They couldn't find any reason to be concerned. DC4 was my biggest when born (almost 9 lbs).

Artandco Sun 10-Apr-16 08:55:47

Both mine apparently measured small. I had hardly any bump either time. Both between 7-8lbs

Cantstopsmiling37 Sun 10-Apr-16 11:45:44

Another one who had small measurements both previous pregnancies. DD measured 4/5cm smaller and came out 39+4 at 7lb8 and DS measured 3/4 cm under and 9lb2 at 40+1 so definitely not small!!!
I'm not and wasn't particularly slim just had small bumps.
This time round I'm measuring right on track but I have no stomach muscles any more so hoping that its not just because I'm going to give birth to a teenager or something!

squeezed Sun 10-Apr-16 12:14:45

Previous pregnancy I kept measuring small and had a number of growth scans but all was fine and baby measured 7lb 6oz. This pregnancy I'm measuring big and having to have growth scans for that reason.

Chattycat78 Mon 11-Apr-16 18:01:43

Update- scan shows baby is average sized (average for me anyway!) so thanks all for the reassuring comments! Those tape measurements must be way out sometimes. In a way I don't see why they do them.

lljkk Mon 11-Apr-16 19:38:38

cheap & cheerful screening... it's all just screening. My friend got told from scans that her baby would be very underweight. Induced 2 weeks early & out popped a perfectly plump 7 lb babe. Honestly, makes you wonder about the value of any medical screening.

skankingpiglet Tue 12-Apr-16 08:30:48

That's good news Chatty smile Mine went well too - her head is sitting very low, affecting the midwife's measurement. Baby is just below 50th percentile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now