Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Positive tests then negative 😞

(17 Posts)
Chittlebum Sat 09-Apr-16 15:01:27

Hi.
I've had 3 positive pregnancy tests then negative a few days later. No pain and no bleeding and still having early pregnancy symptoms. I assume I'm having or am about to have a miscarriage. Fiancé is telling me not to worry until something happens.
This happen to anyone else? sad

Floggingmolly Sat 09-Apr-16 15:02:51

Why are you still testing a few days after several positive tests?

H0p3 Sat 09-Apr-16 15:19:14

It's not unusual for people to test after they've had a positive and it can be because they are worried about a chemical or something so that's not a very helpful comment flogging.

OP I'm sorry I don't have experience of this although it could be lots of things. Were they all the same tests with the same detection level? How many DPO do you think you are? Keeping fx for you but have no answers I'm afraid. flowers

Artioo2 Sat 09-Apr-16 15:31:07

What time of day did you do the negative test? Was it the same brand as the others?

Chittlebum Sat 09-Apr-16 15:37:30

Thank you H0p3, you're exactly right! I was testing with the conception Indicator to see if the weeks were increasing. I've had a positive with a digital, positive 1-2 weeks and positive with a cheap eBay test. Today it said, "not pregnant" on the digital. Just a waiting game I guess hmm

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Sat 09-Apr-16 18:53:49

I had this. I got a positive on the FRER when the digital turned to 'not pregnant' but my HCG was 16 and I started bleeding two days later. I went onto have a successful pregnancy 3 months later. I'm so sorry. I really wanted people to say it would be okay but actually in the end I was glad people said that actually it was unlikely to be okay and to prepare for a not great outcome. They were right.

Obliviated Sat 09-Apr-16 18:57:52

I'm really sorry but it sounds like a chemical pregnancy. The same thing happened to me. I had a couple of 'pregnant 1-2' tests then a not pregnant a few days later. Bleeding started 2 days after that.

delilabell Sat 09-Apr-16 21:29:38

I'm so sorry chittle what a stressful situation for you. I hope everything turns out ok.
flogging what a stupid comment to make. How does that help the Op??

Chittlebum Sat 09-Apr-16 21:55:42

Thank you everyone. A chemical is what I suspected so just waiting now. Still having pg symptoms so kinda want it to happen now. Feel hard done by knowing the inevitable yet still feeling dizzy, sick and peeing every half hr!

AnUtterIdiot Sat 09-Apr-16 21:59:53

Lots of people do more than one test! I did about three.

flowers OP. Why don't you wait a few days and do another if your period doesn't come?

MrsMarsch Mon 11-Apr-16 07:28:55

This has happened to me this weekend, really strong positives last week and then cramping this morning so I took another one, absolute negative. Chemical sad I know it doesn't seem like it but the silver lining for me is it proves we can actually conceive in the first place. I don't know if that helps you or not honey xx

ReallyTired Mon 11-Apr-16 07:43:39

If you are testing very early then it's possible you have a false negative. Some tests need a higher concentration of the hormone to give a positive result. Your fiancé is right in that you still might be pregnant.

I suggest you wait a least a week before doing any more tests. I realise it's a nail biting time.

Chittlebum Mon 11-Apr-16 10:04:59

Thanks ladies. Started bleeding this morning so a chemical as expected. sad Do I need to see my GP or can I just deal with it on my own?

ReallyTired Mon 11-Apr-16 10:51:26

I'm sorry to hear your sad news.

Anovelsolution Mon 11-Apr-16 11:55:38

flowers I'm sorry to hear your news. I would see your gp for advice and to record the pregnancy loss. In my area miscarriages will only be investigated after 3 consecutive loses. There is every chance this is a one off but I'm speaking from my own experience.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 11-Apr-16 13:36:46

flowers I'm sorry, OP. I'd go to the GP as well even if nothing needs to be done.

purplemeggie Tue 12-Apr-16 09:57:39

flowers - it's really tough when that happens. Hoping things work out for you soon. How long have you been ttc and is it a first pregnancy? The reason I ask is that I had a number of chemical pregnancies and it turned out that I had adhesions from my pregnancy with ds, which were stopping the embryos implanting. Took a long time to get to the bottom of it, but I had surgery and I'm now 23 weeks pregnant, so it can be fixed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now