Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Being around sheep/lambs while pregnant

(5 Posts)
Scattymere Fri 08-Apr-16 14:14:37

I'll be 35 weeks next week when we are booked to go to a country cottage for a week. Cant wait. Only thing is- its surrounded by sheep-currently in lambing season and have only just heard that newborn lambs cause a risk to pregnant women of stillbirth. This IS largely when handling lambs/sheep/placenta after birth or very newborn lambs. The sheep/ lambs there live in fields behind and in front of the cottage, but not directly in our garden. We will go on walks and pass their fields, but I'd never come say more than 3-5 metres close to any of them as we walk past. There'd be zero direct contact, zero proximity of being near them in enclosed space. Id carry anti bac gel on me when outside and make sure I often clean my hands incase I touched any grass that they'd been in contact with etc.
Do you think this sounds ok to still go?

KP86 Fri 08-Apr-16 14:16:22

I think it sounds fine. If you are really worried, maybe give your midwife a call?

MyKingdomForBrie Fri 08-Apr-16 14:16:25

You'll be fine!! The germs can't jump 3 - 5 metres. I wouldn't go leaning on any fences/gates etc but honestly you need actual contact for a problem. Sheep farmers manage to have babies ok smile

Scattymere Fri 08-Apr-16 14:21:19

Thanks ladies! smile

SunnyScot89 Fri 08-Apr-16 15:04:19

Just avoid touching them, or the areas where they've been. Make sure you wash your hands really well, avoid touching your face with dirty hands and clean any mud off your boots before going home. In the end of the day, there's risks of picking up infections from any animal, so just be sensible. If you feel ill after your week away then contact your midwife straight away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now