Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

39 weeks bloody jury duty summons

(12 Posts)
namaste30 Thu 07-Apr-16 20:23:15

Finished work today... Knackered, 2 dds 5 and 4. Just what did I get back to? Jury summons- for 31st May. I know I can probably postpone for the short term, but can I excuse myself if I am going to be feeding on demand for a year and will struggle to manage childcare and school runs... What shitty timing...

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Thu 07-Apr-16 20:27:30

What would happen if you showed up with your new baby? Wouldn't they just turn you down?

CountessOfStrathearn Thu 07-Apr-16 20:38:27

You really don't need to stress about this. There will likely be a number to contact the court. Explain and then they will defer you.

Sootica Thu 07-Apr-16 20:42:25

Yes yes just tell them you can't do for the next year due to breastfeeding and having a small baby with no childcare
It won't be a problem

redshoeblueshoe Thu 07-Apr-16 21:02:58

I was called up when I was pregnant, they were fine. I wasn't called back until dd was about 18 months old. flowers

Thisismyfirsttime Thu 07-Apr-16 21:31:20

I was called up for when I was 34 or so wks and I sent back the form explaining I was pregnant and expecting to breastfeed so they didn't defer me (you'll get called up again fairly soon), I was excused (no calling up for 5? years IIRC). I'll be called up again possibly but hopefully it'll be at a better time! I really worried about them insisting I came so heavily pregnant or deferring me for 3/4 months so I wasn't at work but had to leave my baby but they were great about it. I suppose it happens a lot.

ALongTimeComing Thu 07-Apr-16 21:32:33

You can just write to them and explain your personal circumstances. I did the same as I didn't want to defer my university McKinsey and they were fine with that. A baby totally trumps uni!

BigBroIsWatching Fri 08-Apr-16 00:26:08

I deferred whilst breastfeeding my daughter. They did ask for a date if be able to do it, and I said 12 months. Lo and behold, after 12 months, they called me up again!
I did do it in the end. Lasted 3 days and got sent home early every day.

cuntycowfacemonkey Fri 08-Apr-16 00:45:11

I was deferred when ds was 1, that was ten years ago and have never been called back yet

cuntycowfacemonkey Fri 08-Apr-16 00:47:03

Oh just read someone else's post maybe I was excused not deferred? It was the GP that phoned and said I couldn't do it (just been diagnosed with severe PND)

AtiaoftheJulii Fri 08-Apr-16 00:50:55

I got called not long before one of my due dates - explained the situation - not sure whether I got exexcised or deferred, but have never been called back, and that must have been over 15 years ago!

Bluebell20 Fri 08-Apr-16 20:36:25

Oh crikey! Don't worry, you can defer for at least 12 months. Ring the number on the letter asap and explain.

I got called for jury service just before I began my MA when I was 22. I was on a scholarship and really, really could not miss (and did not want to miss) any of the course. I explained the situation, and it was deferred for 12 months. They were very prompt about contacting me once the 12 months were up! This meant I ended up actually doing the jury service just after I'd finished the MA, which was fairly annoying as it meant I couldn't look for jobs / attend interviews. It lasted about eight days, I think. They weren't long days, though. Lots of being sent home for half a day because of issues with the evidence, etc.

Then I went and trained to be a teacher at the age of 26, got my first job, and was called up again for jury service in my first term as an NQT! Could not believe it! I didn't bother deferring this time. I was there for five days, it was a rape case and it wasn't very nice, but the judge let us go afterwards and said we didn't have to come back for our second week.

I'm hoping I've done my bit now, and that my number won't come up again! I don't know anyone else who's done jury service, let alone done it twice in less than five years!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now