Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy related illness sick note

(5 Posts)
Johughes88 Thu 07-Apr-16 10:38:48

Please help.
I've been signed off by my doctor with 'pregnancy related illness' written on my sick note. I'm struggling with antenatal depression but asked her not to put it on my sick note as I didn't want work knowing I was depressed. But now what reason do I give for my 'pregnancy related illness'. Should I just be honest and say it's antenatal depression?
Thanks
Jo

greenlizard Thu 07-Apr-16 10:58:04

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. To be honest I would be surprised if anyone asked you to expand on your Dr's description but if asked I would just say you have not been well, you have taken your GPs advice with regards to treatment and not being at work and leave it at that. Do you have occupational health at your work place? Are you getting health support other than being signed off?

Johughes88 Thu 07-Apr-16 11:02:36

Thanks. It's just I know my friends at work will be asking if I'm ok so I'll feel like I'll have to give a reason. It's only a small workplace. Yes my doctor has referred me to a counsellor.

Artioo2 Thu 07-Apr-16 11:05:54

'Yes, I'm ok thanks, just a pregnancy complication I've been told to take some time off for.'

Someone would have to be very intrusive to ask for more details if you said that I think. I've had to give a similar wooly explanation recently, and no one probed further.

Chianablue Thu 07-Apr-16 12:58:29

I ended up with a Dr's sick note for syncope, I agree that it would be intrusive if people want specific details. You don't need to say any more than what your comfortable with. Hope you have a lovely counsellor, it really makes a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now