Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Migraines in pregnancy

(5 Posts)
Lanhydrock Thu 07-Apr-16 08:01:46

Hello

If you suffer from migraines, how did you cope with them in pregnancy? Also, did you find that the patterns of your migraines changed?

By way of background I have suffered from migraines since my early teens. They have always followed a distinct pattern - visual disturbances followed by severe headache with sensitivity to light and then vomiting followed by a muzzy headed feeling that lasts for the rest of the day. I've tried various medications over the years but nurofen plus sleep seems to be the most effective treatment.

I'm now 24 weeks pregnant and have been getting severe (although not quite as bad as a normal migraine) headaches that last for 2-3 days. After the last episode I saw my GP who prescribed codeine (paracetamol was completely ineffective and taking nurofen isn't advised in pregancy).

I have just had another headache (lasting approx. 36 hours) and after speaking to my midwife went into hospital for a check up as it was accompanied by pain under my ribs and occasional flashing lights. Fortunately my blood pressure was normal and urine tests fine. The doctor said that I was low risk and that it was most likely a migraine. She suggested I see my GP again for alternative pain relief (as the codeine didn't work at all). Sleep doesn't seem to help in the way it normally would either.

When I got home I had dinner and was promptly sick. The headache subsided significantly after that. The overall pattern/duration is so different from my normal migraines but I understand that it's not uncommon for changes of this nature to happen in pregnancy.

Has anyone experienced anything similar and, if so, did you find an effective way of treating your migraines whilst pregnant?

Thanks for reading and grateful for any suggestions.

Jenjen85 Thu 07-Apr-16 08:10:31

I had migraines before pregnancy just like you and had medication (can't remember the name) and it helped take the edge off. Only ever had one migraine during my pregnancy and I had to just ride it out unfortunately. I haven't had another migraine since tho and that was 3 years ago sorry I know that's not what you want to hear right now when I spoke to my GP about my medication they advised I could take it but didn't know if it would effect baby so I didn't take it. Hopefully your GP will be able to help as I know just how awful and debilitating a migraine can be. Hope you start to feel better soon

Jenjen85 Thu 07-Apr-16 08:13:26

Sorry forgot to say I had severe headaches in this pregnancy at 16wks for a week and tried the 4head stick which helped a bit so maybe give that a try

MigGril Thu 07-Apr-16 08:22:06

I have chronic migraine I talked about treatment with my GP before getting pregnant. Lucky for me I had a complete break from all migraines during pregnancy.

But best thing we agreed was that you can take preventative medication while pregnant. This is better then taking codeine, which can make migraine worse if taken on a regular basis (you can take codeine but it's generally agreed it should be used sparingly). I also found 4 head sticks helpful you can uses these safely during pregnancy. I used them for headaches and still use them now for migraines.

Lanhydrock Thu 07-Apr-16 09:01:41

Thanks to you both for your replies. Sounds like the 4head stick is definitely worth a try. I'll have another chat with my GP and ask about preventative medication this time as well. I didn't get migraines frequently enough to make this worthwhile before but the frequency seems to have increased since becoming pregnant so might be a good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now