Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Root canal filling

(9 Posts)
Suzanneloulou123 Tue 05-Apr-16 21:27:00

Hi I'm 14 weeks pregnant and booked on for this on Thursday... Has any one any experience or advice. I'm mainly worried about the section of the tooth that has a silver filling over it. Will the root canal cause this any problems or lead to it leaking mecury? Thanks Suzanne

SockQueen Tue 05-Apr-16 22:36:13

Does your dentist know you're pregnant?

I had the first stage of a root canal done back in December, then found out I was pregnant before my 2nd stage appointment in January. I told the dentist and they decided not to complete the 2nd stage as it would require x-rays (though the exposure risk from a standard dental x-ray is very low) so did most of the cleaning out but left it with a temporary filling. Went back again yesterday and discussed with my dentist and the senior dentist at the practice, and decided to leave the completion until after the baby's born, so again just cleaned out the roots, more antibiotic packing and another temporary filling.

If you already have a filling in the tooth they will remove it as part of the procedure, but the risk of mercury exposure is very low as it will all be being removed! Mine had a white filling in.

Suzanneloulou123 Tue 05-Apr-16 22:57:50

Hi yes he knows I'm pregnant we tried antibiotics but then got an abscess so wants to do root canal. The filling is just half a tooth that I already have in a silver one... Thanks for the reply

Suzanneloulou123 Tue 05-Apr-16 22:59:07

I had just read about it causing issues removing amagram fillings x

SockQueen Tue 05-Apr-16 23:27:33

I'm not a dentist, so I don't know for sure - they'll be able to tell you tomorrow! But I'd imagine taking it out is less problematic than putting it in, and even so the amounts of mercury you're exposed to are minuscule.

Suzanneloulou123 Wed 06-Apr-16 07:30:14

Hi I'm due to have it on Thursday sad

SockQueen Wed 06-Apr-16 07:54:58

Oh sorry, well they'll be able to tell you more on Thursday then. If it's really concerning you, ring up today and ask about it.

Onsera3 Wed 06-Apr-16 08:27:38

I had endodontic work on a failed root canal when pregnant.

I was nervous about it. More from X-ray perspective. But apparently the level of radiation is so low it's not significant.

I didn't think about the mercury. ( My crown is porcelain but it has some metal under it and I'm not sure what. ) Until afterwards when I needed a filling while breastfeeding. As you may know, the NHS gives free dental during and after pregnancy. But it doesn't cover white fillings.

So I read around and found something from NICE that recommended avoiding during pregnancy and breastfeeding. As a precaution rather than conclusive evidence from studies. I bookmarked the link but it no longer works! But as you know, the NHS doesn't always put it practice those guidelines.

It's not conclusive that getting an amalgam filling in mouth when pregnant or breastfeeding would harm your baby. But they say that the exposure to mercury from fillings is greatest during the placement or removal. If they drill it it could release vapours I think. They say using a dam in mouth is a good precaution.

What tooth is it? If it was a back one I would seriously consider just removing it. So often root canals don't work and later on more work is needed. This happened to me. I personally don't know anyone who had a root canal and says it's never caused them a problem since. Though I'm not saying these people don't exist!

Mine is on a back tooth and I wish now I'd just pulled it. I spent so much money on it (privately) and then it didn't work 100% as there is so often something that only an endodontist can see. It was like a constant minor infection for my body until they fixed it.

I guess if it is a front tooth it might be more straightforward as less roots.

Suzanneloulou123 Wed 06-Apr-16 08:48:55

Hi it's 3 from the back at the bottom but I have a gap already next to it so he thinks the gap will be very big and would be able to see it. I wasn't sure if they used the mecury filling to fill it. He said it needs a crown. I feel like I question everything he is doing but feel so uneasy about the dentist x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now