Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early pregnancy insomnia

(8 Posts)
Craftycakey15 Tue 05-Apr-16 16:39:42

I am 10 weeks pregnant and ever since I got pregnant I have had the worst insomnia. I wake up before 1am and am awake until 6 or 7 am when I maybe get another hour's sleep. It is not anxiety and I really thought insomnia only happened when you get bigger and the baby makes you uncomfortable?

I am taking progesterone supplements three times a day and must do so for another two weeks when i can finally stop. I am wondering if it is a side effect of this (cyclogest) or just pregnancy?

signofthebellbird Tue 05-Apr-16 17:57:22

I'm at 12 weeks, and I wake up about 2 am and have to go to the loo, and then I'm lucky to get back to sleep before 5. Not quite so bad as you but still awful! I just want to push DH out of bed for his peaceful snoozing while I'm lying there bored and queasy. I had this with DD and remember thinking well, at least I don't have to get out of bed for anyone yet, but now I'm just thinking longingly of how I used to fall asleep as my head hit the pillow after feeding her!

scienceteachergeek Tue 05-Apr-16 18:11:39

I'm the same. I've had it in both of my pregnancies. I had a mmc in Nov and this one has been the same. Insomnia right from the beginning. I can get off to sleep but wake up between 1am and 5am every single day and always struggle to get back off to sleep.

With this pregnancy I am taking Cyclogest but it has nothing to do with my insomnia. I'm dreading going back to school after the holidays as I'm just not sleeping.

I have however found going to a different bedroom/living room helpful. I tend to get off to sleep quicker when I do that.

Could you try that? It really does help me.

SouthDownsSunshine Tue 05-Apr-16 20:40:55

Yep I'm the same. I had it in my last pregnancy, I found that daytime naps were the only way to cope.

eurochick Tue 05-Apr-16 20:45:29

I had the same. It started with the hcg shot before egg collection (IVF) and continued when the natural hcg took over. After delivery it finally went but then I had a newborn to look after. confused. Thanks nature!

Craftycakey15 Tue 05-Apr-16 22:04:37

I really hope this doesn't go on the whole pregnancy too! I can't cope. I'm really hoping everything will be better after the first trimester..the nausea, the insomnia, etc!

Inwaiting Tue 05-Apr-16 22:33:00

I had the same and it drove me round the bend. I ended up setting my alarm 3 hours into sleep so I would get up and go to the loo & straight back to bed. Seemed to do the trick for me as I was still sleepy rather than half rested

mellmumma Fri 08-Apr-16 13:39:29

Hi CraftyCakey15!

I had terrible insomnia in my first trimester!

Then one day around 11-12 weeks it just stopped and now am 26 weeks and sleeping 10-12 hours every night! 😁🙌🏼

I recommend nice baths and lots of bedtime reading (not pregnancy books!) aldorecommend a great big pregnancy pillow, this really helped me sleep. I have a 12ft one from amazon that is like a cocoon 😊

I fall asleep in my book every night now! Fingers crossed your insomnia will end soon too!

Sometimes I do randomly find myself wide awake in the middle of the night, but I resist the urge to look at my ipad and just read my book and always manage to drift back off eventually.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now