Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Heartburn

(13 Posts)
KayTee87 Tue 05-Apr-16 08:34:41

I'm almost 25 weeks and have been suffering from terrible heartburn night and day it literally keeps me awake / wakes me up. I have small meals and dont eat lateat night, it's just constant. I've been using gaviscon and rennies but they only work for a really short time. I was going to go and buy some omeprazol but was concerned about its safety after reading on line. Does anyone know more about it and would it definitely work anyway? I'm miserable sad

OwlinaTree Tue 05-Apr-16 08:35:34

I'm the same at the moment, in really suffering with indigestion. Will be watching what answers you get!

KayTee87 Tue 05-Apr-16 08:38:10

It's terrible sad

Mouthfulofquiz Tue 05-Apr-16 08:49:21

Go to the doctors! I've been on omeprazole 20mg for about 8 weeks now (I'm 36 weeks now) and it is fantastic. No heartburn at all now. You can also take ranitidine 300mg (I had this in a previous pregnancy).
No need to suffer.

KayTee87 Tue 05-Apr-16 09:05:49

Can you buy omeprazole 20mg over the counter? Never heard of ranitidine will look into that too. Thanks!

OwlinaTree Tue 05-Apr-16 09:09:15

I'm going to try no caffeine and no chocolate today to see if that helps. Been eating a lot of extra chocolate because of Easter!

Mouthfulofquiz Tue 05-Apr-16 09:48:56

You can buy omeprazole over the counter but I wouldn't personally as it's very expensive. Just pop and see your GP!

OwlinaTree Tue 05-Apr-16 17:14:02

Feeling much better with the no choccy, no caffeine today, no heartburn yet!

KayTee87 Tue 05-Apr-16 17:57:29

That's good owlina - doesn't seem to help me at all sad
I've bought some omeprazol (or the Morrisons version of it anyway) so fingers crossed it works quickly! Drank so much gaviscon today that I wanted to be sick.

Mouthfulofquiz Tue 05-Apr-16 20:30:01

Honestly - and I know I'm being a broken record here, go to your GP. There is no need to be necking litres of gsviscon until you feel sick.

KayTee87 Tue 05-Apr-16 20:45:17

Bought omeprazol now and taken first dose anyway so will give that a go smile its more hassle than its worth trying to get to the doctors if I can buy something over the counter. If this doesn't work I have a hospital appointment in a couple of weeks anyway for anti-d / gtt so can ask further advice there.

Autumn2014 Tue 05-Apr-16 20:53:38

I used gaviscon but when that wasn't helping my consultant prescribed ranitadine one tablet twice a day. I can tell when I'm due one, it really works. And I can take gaviscon in between if I need. It's much easier to.take a tablet than lug a bottle of gaviscon around!

KayTee87 Wed 06-Apr-16 21:41:03

I didn't have heartburn all day, I'm amazed the tablet worked so fast. Feel like a new woman! Now if I could only get comfy enough to sleep more than an hour at a time I'd be on to a winner wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now