Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Grobags - summer baby

(10 Posts)
socktastic Mon 04-Apr-16 14:56:21

Another utterly clueless post.
Baby is due 30th June and trying to get bedding etc organised. I've bought a couple of sleeping bags one at 1 tog and one at 2.5. I'm assuming the temperature of the nursery has an effect on which toggage to use but would you start off with 1 tog? or do I just hope for a nice warm sunny summer (unlikely!?)

strictlylurking Mon 04-Apr-16 15:09:32

DS1 was born in June up here in the North. Even though it does't get that warm up here, I felt it was still too warm in the house at night for a Gro-bag at night to begin with. DS didn't mind being a little cool, but he pretty much hated being too warm, so I erred on that side and for the first month or so it was just a baby blanket (the knitted kind with the small holes, the ones you end up with about 26 of).

AlexandraEiffel Mon 04-Apr-16 15:11:32

There's a chart on their website for different temps and grobag and clothing to use

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Mon 04-Apr-16 15:18:27

Babies need to be 8 lbs to go in a grobag I think. My ds didn't hit 8 lbs until he was 5 weeks old so make sure you have some alternatives.

petitdonkey Mon 04-Apr-16 15:22:36

DS was born on 1st July and I used a 1 tog often with a cellular blanket over the top. I was so worried about overheating to begin with that he had hypothermia at 2 weeks old - this was more linked with the fact that he wasn't feeding properly but still be aware that they do get cold when they're tiny. Imagine lying on your bed un july - even in the middle of the day you might get chilled and reach for a blanket. I always (after he was ill) stuck to the rule of one more layer than me- its rare that I go down to just a sheet in the summer so he would wear a long sleeved vest and his gro bag.

FrizzyNoodles Mon 04-Apr-16 15:24:22

Mine is less than 8lbs 8 oz so is in gro snugs at the moment. They come in different levels. She has cosy but you can get a cooler one or have them in just a nappy underneath. You get a chart with each one. They do up at the neck and have poppers at the arms would either restrict them or let them out. Baby can use up to 12lb but I'll be getting the gro bags when she's big enough smile

ReallyTired Mon 04-Apr-16 15:46:12

I think you are better off using sheets and blankets for a newborn. A newborn does not wriggle much and it's not easy to predict how hot it will be in June. In you position I would put the baby in a grow bag in the autumn ants swaddled the baby before then.

Happydays2000 Mon 04-Apr-16 18:11:30

I just bought a couple today (baby due mid June) woman in mothercare said 8lb 8 before they could go in them and also that I'd not need more than 1 tog - with vest and sleepsuit on underneath

1frenchfoodie Mon 04-Apr-16 18:16:33

My wriggly newborn has been in a grobag from her first week - she was 8lb 2 but we have a bag with extra underarm poppers for lower weight babies. Even though the house is 21c a 2tog bag and bodysuit are an ideal temp for her. Sleeping in the day is done with a blanket - the grobag just really helps with settling at night as she can swiftly go from our arms to the moses basket with no fuss or temp change.

StillYummy Mon 04-Apr-16 19:55:37

http://gro.co.uk/pages/what-to-wear

This helped us a lot... Neurotic mummy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now