Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Would like my c-section brought forward to 38 weeks.

(6 Posts)
SOPH781 Mon 04-Apr-16 10:31:05

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any advice / thoughts on this please. I'm currently 35 weeks pregnant with DC2. I have had a shitty pregnancy and this final trimester has been a nightmare. The main problem at the moment is severe back/pelvis/girdle pain meaning I can barely move. Nothing helps and I can't sleep and i'm totally and utterly fed up with it. I am scheduled to have an elective C-section at 39 weeks and 5 days but am desperate to have the baby a bit earlier - 38 weeks as I did with my DC1. I asked my consultant and she said definitely no but my midwife thought it might be an idea to push it. I guess I'm looking for advice on how to convince the medical professionals to do the C-section early. Thank you smile

queenoftheuniverse Mon 04-Apr-16 10:35:42

I had mine done at 37+6 due to pgp and spd

I had to really push for it though, the midwife referred me to the consultant and I had to literally sit in there crying (not difficult tbh)

good luck the pain is awful in these last few weeks x

SOPH781 Mon 04-Apr-16 10:45:28

Thanks queen - I think i'll ring my midwife and ask her to recommend it to the consultant - is that what you did?
x

queenoftheuniverse Mon 04-Apr-16 10:50:24

yes - good luck! and let us know

one warning - in my area at least if you have a section or get induced before 39 weeks you have to have steroid injections a day or so before and they erm sting a bit shock

I was hoping for this too as I have SPD, pgp, round ligament pain and varicose veins down there , but my consultant said its more likely to be postponed if there's a lack of neonatal cots if you're less than 39 weeks. Obviously this is hospital policy but could be at other hospitals too. I'm booked for elcs at 39 weeks as its my 4th (3 previous sections). Thankfully I've finished work now so I figure I can wait out another week with plenty of rest, rather than risk travelling an hour to be told to go home and come back another day!

mellysam Fri 15-Apr-16 14:05:45

NICE guidelines (which the hospital should be working to) state:

1.4.1 Timing of planned CS
1.4.1.1 The risk of respiratory morbidity is increased in babies born by CS before labour, but this risk decreases significantly after 39 weeks. Therefore planned CS should not routinely be carried out before 39 weeks. [2004]

1.4.2 Classification of urgency
1.4.2.1 The urgency of CS should be documented using the following standardised scheme in order to aid clear communication between healthcare professionals about the urgency of a CS:

1. immediate threat to the life of the woman or fetus
2. maternal or fetal compromise which is not immediately life-threatening
3. no maternal or fetal compromise but needs early delivery
4. delivery timed to suit woman or staff. [2004]

Definitely discuss with consultant again, best of luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now