Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fever in first couple of weeks of pregnancy

(7 Posts)
AnUtterIdiot Sat 02-Apr-16 11:49:34

Tested positive yesterday after 6 days of period no-show. Clearblue says 2-3 weeks which is probably about right based on when I ovulated.

I've had a horrible chest infection for the last week and was quite feverish for the first three days. Delight at pregnancy is therefore slightly tarnished by terror that the baby may have hideous birth defect caused by my fever and possibly taking Amoxicillin. Am I worrying unnecessarily? Obviously I realise pregnancy could terminate for any number of reasons in the next few weeks anyway so am trying to manage my expectations but failing miserably.

MintyBojingles Sat 02-Apr-16 13:47:31

I'm sure you'll be fine smile there are actually very few viruses that are really dangerous to unborn baby (rubella and slapped cheek are two worst I think, but most people are immune). I've just been prescribed amoxicillin for a uti, so it's obviously one considered safe in pregnancy.

I had severe d&v bug the week after I found out, and nasty virus couple weeks after, baby is looking healthy and fine, just had 20 week scan ;) try not to worry too much.

babynumber3eek Sat 02-Apr-16 13:51:00

I'm another person who had a hideous virus shortly after finding out I was pregnant. I had a huge temperature and was very ill but my son is now 17 months old and rudely healthy! Try not to worry xx

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Sat 02-Apr-16 13:51:31

Both pregnancies I have been really poorly in the first few weeks - dc1 I had norovirus and dc2 I had an ear infection. I don't know if it was coincidence or the result of a lowered immune system. Both babies have been fine. Congratulations on your pregnancyflowers

AnUtterIdiot Sat 02-Apr-16 13:53:58

Oh, thank you all! I feel a bit better now smile

seven201 Sat 02-Apr-16 14:03:48

I've had two lots of amoxicillin so far this pregnancy. Stop worrying.

AnUtterIdiot Sat 02-Apr-16 14:33:30

I will! I see Amoxicillin is safe during pregnancy. I was a bit more worried about the high temp but feel better having heard from others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now