Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

C-section booked for next week. Had a show today

(22 Posts)
claireL1991 Thu 31-Mar-16 12:45:55

Bit of a gross subject but I'm certain I've had a show today. It wasn't like normal discharge and is nothing like anything I've ever had before.

Normally I would be very excited about this but I'm booked in for a caesarean next Friday so don't want to go into labour before then.

Does anyone think I need to contact the delivery suite? I've text my community midwife but not had a reply yet.

I can't have a natural birth due to type1 diabetes, large baby and Polyhydramnios.

Thanks for any advice.

Claire x

LadyStark Thu 31-Mar-16 12:48:51

Is it your first baby? If so, I would keep an eye on it but you can have a show and then nothing happen for days/weeks so I would probably watch and wait. With subsequent babies it is normal to lose your plug weeks before due date, apparently it replenishes!

GiddyOnZackHunt Thu 31-Mar-16 12:49:19

Yes give the delivery suite a call.

claireL1991 Thu 31-Mar-16 12:51:54

Yes it's my first baby, no other symptoms or anything.

Will wait and see what the midwife says unless anything else happens.

Thanks smile x

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Thu 31-Mar-16 12:56:34

With my first I had a show at 35 weeks, dd was born at 42 weeks (after being induced!) so a show doesn't necessarly mean labor is imminent. I would just wait to hear from your midwife and try not to worry!

claireL1991 Thu 31-Mar-16 13:09:46

Thank you smile

I just don't want to go into labour before my caesarean

Claire x

MadSprocker Thu 31-Mar-16 13:14:16

I had a planned c-section booked due to a breech baby, then went into labour 2 1/2 weeks before. Because I knew I had to have a section, we went straight in, and three hours later I had my section, though it ended up being classed as an emcs. This was 13 years ago, and I was definitely in labour!

shartsi Thu 31-Mar-16 13:18:35

Call the hospital, you will most likely be told to go in for an emergency c section. If you are having an elective c section, the hospital does not let you go into active labour. My consultant told me that if my mucus plug breaks then I will be attended to immediately.

claireL1991 Thu 31-Mar-16 13:26:03

@shartsi were you booked in for a section too?

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Thu 31-Mar-16 13:27:44

I was booked in a for a section at 39 weeks . At 38+4 had a show. Went into labour at 38+6 and had emergency section. Call up and let them know!

bonzo77 Thu 31-Mar-16 13:29:06

Definitely call in. Depending on how far along you are they might want to give you steroids (if you've not had them already) to help the baby's lungs. Where I had mine they give them where possible in all cases where baby may come before 39 weeks.

claireL1991 Thu 31-Mar-16 13:33:37

Okay, my partner gets home at 2 ish so I'll ring then so he can take me in if needs be.

I'm due to start steroid injections tomorrow when I have me pre op I think.

shartsi Thu 31-Mar-16 13:34:10

Claire, yes I was booked in for a c section. I am again booked in for a c section for next Wednesday and my notes say if I get a show, waters break or get constant contractions I must go into the hospital asap.

When I was pregnant with DC2, my waters broke at 36t 5 and, 2 weeks before elcs. I went into hospital and had csection 4 hours later.

claireL1991 Thu 31-Mar-16 13:39:25

Okay thank you, I'll ring when my partner gets home.

Good luck for Wednesday!

LilithTheKitty Thu 31-Mar-16 13:48:20

I would call too. I know for lots of people a show doesn't mean imminent labour but for me I went into labour within 24 hours of a show all three times. As it's your first you don't know which camp you'll be in. Good luck.

megletthesecond Thu 31-Mar-16 13:50:43

Please call now. I wouldn't even wait for your partner to get home. The sooner the ward know you're coming the better.

I was told to call if I went into labour before my planned cs.

LovelyWeatherForDucks Thu 31-Mar-16 13:55:06

Yes definitely call. I went into labour 2 weeks before planned c section (second breech baby), called as soon as I realised what was happening and went straight in, but still nearly ended up giving birth naturally (got to fully dilated! ) as they had several other 'emergency' c sections that day and it went quicker than expected (2nd baby but first labour). So don't wait!

claireL1991 Thu 31-Mar-16 14:00:11

Even though I haven't gone into labour?
I haven't got any other symptoms just a show this morning and it was clear.

LovelyWeatherForDucks Thu 31-Mar-16 14:08:14

No harm in calling to see what they advise smile They might want to check you over, they may say wait and see, but at least you'll be on their radar if anything changes.

claireL1991 Thu 31-Mar-16 14:31:52

I rang, they said not to worry at the moment but to look out for signs of labour and go in if anything else happens.
Thanks everyone smile

PoppitFox Fri 01-Apr-16 13:28:54

Did you get any more signs?xx

claireL1991 Fri 01-Apr-16 13:54:41

No nothing happened in the end.
I'm being admitted today for a couple of days to have steroid injections so at least I'll be in the right place if anything happens now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now