Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

1st scan - advice

(9 Posts)
Noappointmentnecessary Wed 30-Mar-16 20:48:12

Hi ladies
I have my first scan tomorrow. Anyway they advise you to drink 800-850ml of water an hour before it. My bladder is really not good at holding in liquid. Anyone got any advice what I can do to ensure my bladder is full?

Thank you

melonribena Wed 30-Mar-16 20:54:46

I would arrive half an hour early with a full bottle of water. Sip for the next half hour then your bladder will be nicely full.
I'm the same as you. No point drinking an hour before hand. I'd have been so uncomfortable half an hour before my appt and in tears by the time I went in.
Don't stress about it. Enjoy your scan!

NotWithoutMyMerkin Wed 30-Mar-16 21:03:24

Yes, just empty your bladder 30/45 mins before the test then drink a bottle of water on the way. They'll let you run to the Loo as soon as they've finished

Pinklily1 Wed 30-Mar-16 21:03:28

My letter said to d rink a pint of water an hour before the appointment. I did that and they told me my bladder was on the verge of being too full! So, I'd say maybe don't drink quite as much as they say!

KP86 Wed 30-Mar-16 21:08:52

I was so full they made me pee TWICE before they could do the scan.

soundsystem Wed 30-Mar-16 21:28:56

Good advise already, I agree with maybe don't drink as much as they say. I did and then was asked to "empty my bladder by about 15%" hmm

melonribena Wed 30-Mar-16 21:54:11

I too had to empty my bladder a bit! Was awful. Was cos my appointment was half an hour late though!!

The sonographer then made me empty my bladder as he couldn't get the right position for the nuchal test.

SodaChick Wed 30-Mar-16 22:58:32

doing this next week....taking 750Mel bottle, arriving half an hour early, read, sip and just try be calm...so nervous

FifiRebel Thu 31-Mar-16 09:18:34

I caved and emptied my bladder before my 12 week scan. Expected to get a telling off but I was told to go to the loo again half way through the scan?! I haven't bothered drinking much water for any scans after that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now