Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cot/Bedside Cot/Moses Basket?

(14 Posts)
sophUK Wed 30-Mar-16 14:30:05

Hi,
I'm 30 weeks and confused by all the cot/crib choices out there.
Is there any reason why you shouldn't buy a standard cot for your new born and keep it in the room with you? After 6 months, the same cot can be moved into nursery? Just trying to understand why you would buy an alternative like a moses basket or bedside crib!
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Hopelass Wed 30-Mar-16 14:32:14

Some people, including myself in our old house, don't have room for a full size cot in their room. We had a bed nest until 6 months when DS went into his own room and cot. A bedside crib can also mean you don't physically have to get out of bed to reach the baby. A godsend I believe if you've had surgery.

KatharinaRosalie Wed 30-Mar-16 14:33:54

Advantage of moses basket is that you can lift it up and carry it around. It's recommended to have babies sleeping (including daytime sleeps) in the same room as you are, and obviously sitting in the bedroom next to the cot is not very practical.

Bedside cribs are convenient as you can take the baby out, feed the baby and slide the baby back without even getting out of the bed and fully waking up. At night time feed number 305, you will appreciate it.

But of course neither is mandatory and you will manage perfectly well with just a standard cot.

SallyDonovan Wed 30-Mar-16 14:37:07

Many people have small bedrooms and not enough room for a full size cot. A Moses basket or crib takes up much less space. But if you have space, there's no reason why you can't put your baby in the cot from the start.

I was intending to do just that with DD1. We had a bedroom large enough to comfortably accommodate the cot and I thought it was pointless to spend money on a crib when she could just go in there. But then she was born and she was so tiny I thought she'd feel insecure in the massive cotbed we'd bought so I made DH go out and buy a Moses basket. grin

SallyDonovan Wed 30-Mar-16 14:39:54

The other advantage is that you can easily position a Moses basket within arms reach of your bed so you don't have to do more than lean over to pick them up. Plus, you can easily move them down stairs (not when baby is in it obviously) for daytime naps as well.

CakeAndChocolate Wed 30-Mar-16 14:43:27

Agree with everything everyone else has said but just wanted to add that if you don't want to buy extra sleeping vessels then some pushchair carrycots are suitable for sleeping in for babies so you can use that as an indoor "Moses" basket for daytime naps. Some are not suitable for overnight sleeping (soft sides) so think about what you would want to use it for.

makingmiracles Wed 30-Mar-16 14:53:25

Bedside cots/cribs are a godsend when breastfeeding, no need to get out of bed whatsoever just pulled dc towards me, fed them and then placed them back into bedside crib, loved it and would never buy a standard drop side cot now.

socktastic Wed 30-Mar-16 15:05:10

We've managed to wind up with all three! My sister gave me her side sleeper cot which baby will be in at night times. We also have a cotbed which is part of our furniture set for the nursery and a friend bought us a Moses basket which we are going to keep downstairs. I hope we can get baby used to a routine of naps in the cotbed so it's not totally new to him when it comes the time for him to sleep in his own room.

SouthDownsSunshine Wed 30-Mar-16 15:40:01

I had a bed nest with dd, which was fine. But next time, I'll be using a moba moses basket which I think will be more practical.

SpecialStains Wed 30-Mar-16 18:22:35

Disclaimer I am a first time mum to be. Those of you who know better may laugh at my post. grin

We're going to have the proper cot in our bedroom and use the pram carrycot in the day (have made sure it is suitable for this purpose and we're buying a new/different mattress with it). It's what my mum says she did with me.

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 30-Mar-16 18:31:13

I have used all three, in fact four as we have a travel cot as well! Moses basket when tiny for downstairs sleeps, used it in the evening and carried it upstairs. We have a big 'proper cot' drop side style in ds's bedroom for when he finally goes in there, he is 6 months now and has only just started having his naps in there, but I use it with a cot-top changing board if I'm upstairs and he has a mobile which keeps him occupied in there while I make beds or vacuum upstairs. We also have a chicco next to me which was our one luxury purchase as this is dc3 and so we bought nothing else new. Now he has outgrown moses basket he sleeps in this but we are going to have to rethink pretty soon now he can roll. In all honesty I don't think there's a right option, its just whatever you need to fit your lifestyle.

Nottalotta Wed 30-Mar-16 18:50:54

I had a moses basket which is fairly unused. Ds is long and was too big for it by 8weeks. He wasn't keen on it. Next time I will get a sleepyhead. It can be used for naps downstairs, on the bed and in the cot which I have in my room.

sidonie1 Wed 30-Mar-16 19:43:37

I thought this too and used a cot for all three of mine from newborn. Then pram for downstairs in the day. Worked fine and saves having them unsettled when you have to move them from a Moses basket to cot.

kiki22 Wed 30-Mar-16 22:10:29

I had everything with DS but he was in his cot by 10 weeks because he hated the crib and Moses basket he was quite big and would hit his little hands off of the sides and cry. This time I'm putting the cot up in our bedroom from day 1 and have got a poddlepod and the carry cot from the pram for during the day I'm in a two bedroom flat so I can pop to different rooms and still hear the baby if I'm leaving he room for any length of time I'll bring poddlepod with me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now