Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Had anyone else had abdominal surgery during their first trimester?

(2 Posts)
axlrosie Tue 29-Mar-16 18:47:28

Hi. My first ever post on Mumsnet so please advise if this message should be constructed differently.
I am in my 11th week with my first pregnancy and last week I had an emergency appendectomy. The baby appears to have been unharmed by the whole episode (a scan the day after surgery showed it moving around, totally oblivious to what had happened!).
I am just wondering whether anyone else has been through something similar during pregnancy?
Previously I had been very sick and tired anyway and was looking forward to getting back to feeling a bit more energised in my second trimester. Now my recovery has meant that I am poleaxed and I am not sure when it is going to get better. I was feeling quite positive at first but I suppose now that some time has passed and the crisis is over I am feeling really quite sad. I didn't have any expectations of pregnancy and certainly wasn't putting myself under any pressure, but this feels like a real blow to what was already a bit of a difficult time.
If anyone else has been through something like this it would really help to hear about how they coped and how long it took them to recover.
Thanks so much.

KayTee87 Thu 31-Mar-16 13:23:31

Hello I haven't had surgery in pregnancy however I have had an emergency appendectomy and I think I took around 4-6 weeks to fully recover. It's great baby is safe and sound and that it was spotted that you needed your appendix out before there was any complications. Assuming you've had key hole surgery you will probably heal quicker than I did as I had mine out the 'old school' way with a nice 3 inch scar.
I think by the time you get into your second trimester you will be feeling a lot better, just take it easy for now flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now