Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any experience of obstetric cholestasis with pre eclampsia?

(10 Posts)
possum18 Tue 29-Mar-16 17:27:16

I'm 35+2 with DCDA twins. Felt very unwell over the weekend and admitted to antenatal ward on Sunday evening with blood pressure of 191/115 and protein present in my urine. Monday afternoon was discharged but told I have mild preeclampsia and need to be monitored every 3 days until babies arrive, and been put on pills. Had a call this morning to say my blood test results have picked up obstetric cholestasis and I need to go back in first thing tomorrow for more monitoring.

I've had a google which is a terrible idea and heard what can go wrong.
Wondered if any lovely MNers had any first hand experience with both of these issues and could shed some light on the outcome, when/how they delivered and how baby/babies were after?

Thanks
smile

kamillaw Tue 29-Mar-16 19:50:20

I had this with my first singleton. She came at 36+1, via normal delivery after a favourable membrane sweep. I would imagine you would deliver via CS when the time comes? Hopefully the pills will control your BP well for the next couple of weeks. They will likely monitor/medicate for the OC as well. I've had it in two pregnancies and both babies were fine (second born at 37+3). I always found the monitoring very reassuring. Both these conditions will resolve quickly post delivery. Best of luck!

sepa Wed 30-Mar-16 01:35:35

I had high BP (not pre eclampsia) and OC during pregnancy. At my hospital I was monitored weekly with a blood test for the OC. They don't induce before 40weeks unless the bile acids get to 40 or above.
I was medicated when mine went to +20. Ended up with my waters breaking at 38+3. Induced 38+4/5 and had LO at 39 weeks.
I don't think you will go beyond 40 weeks without being induced

Dangermouse80 Wed 30-Mar-16 01:42:43

I had OC with both my two pregnancies. Both times I took tablets and had weekly blood tests to monitor bile levels. I had steroids at 34/35 weeks and scheduled sections at 37 weeks.
With my first I felt suddenly more itchy, went in to the hospital, they tested me and then pulled my CS date forward to the following day as my levels were above 40.

possum18 Wed 30-Mar-16 08:34:09

Thank you all for replies, good to know you all went on to have reasonably long and healthy pregnancies. Got admitted to antenatal ward over night and they are making a plan to induce at 37 weeks if not delivered by then .

Thanks!

possum18 Wed 30-Mar-16 08:35:19

Thank you all for replies, good to know you all went on to have reasonably long and healthy pregnancies. Got admitted to antenatal ward over night and they are making a plan to induce at 37 weeks if not delivered by then .

Thanks!

kamillaw Wed 30-Mar-16 08:47:39

I know hospital sucks but enjoy the enforced rest and get your partner/family to bring in books and tablet loaded with stuff. Update if you can. Thinking of you!

possum18 Wed 30-Mar-16 11:04:54

Awe thank you I will update! Have been enjoying the rest and DP just bought me a huge bag of mini eggs chocolatestar

tootsietoo Wed 30-Mar-16 11:20:44

I have experience of both, but I'm not sure it will help much. The pre-eclampsia was diagnosed at 2 days overdue, and so DD1 was delivered about 4 hours after the diagnosis, by c-section.

I had gestational diabetes and obstetric choliostasis with DD2, and so I was booked in for a planned c-section at 38 weeks. Incidentally I had been itching for weeks when pg with DD1, so I suspect I may have had the choliostasis with her as well.

Both babies were fine and healthy. I also was fine after each birth with plenty of rest to recover from the c-section. However, I am pre-diabetic (ie. disposed to having type 2 diabetes) so I really should lay off the mini eggs myself!! And goodness knows what state my liver is in!

The biggest issue was the shock of the emergency c-section and the fact DD1 wasn't breathing when she came out. I don't know why that was, but I didn't get to hold her for ages as they did whatever they had to do which I hated and I always wonder if that is a part of the reason she is quite needy. Also I was strapped up to drips for several days after the birth for the pre-eclampsia drugs (magnesium??) which made it impossible for me to move to pick DD1 up, so I had to ring a bell whenever I wanted to feed her for her to be passed to me, and the midwives did the nappy changing. It was pretty miserable not being able to pick up my baby when I needed to. Also they kept me on the delivery ward for several days - effectively in intensive care - in a windowless room which was utterly depressing. It sounds like your experience is likely to be better if the c-section is planned - perhaps ask them what after care you will need for the pre-eclampsia?

Good luck!

possum18 Tue 05-Apr-16 19:36:15

Induction has been booked for Monday 37+1, unless my blood pressure becomes less stable in the meantime. Consultant has advised he thinks there is a 50/50 chance of c section being needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now