Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Craving gaviscon

(9 Posts)
Sgoinneal Tue 29-Mar-16 15:48:38

I'm craving chalk, but particularly gaviscon tablets because of the texture. Been suffering with terrible heartburn anyway, but the tablets won't do me any harm, will they? Please say no, I need to eat them, and don't want to resort to nibbling my toddler's chalk... blush

RatOnnaStick Tue 29-Mar-16 15:55:42

Its fine! I mainlined the stuff throughout my second pregnancy. Chew away.

BettyBi0 Tue 29-Mar-16 15:57:10

I'm sure it won't do you any harm as long as you stick to whatever the daily limits are. Says she who used to glug it from the bottle

Have you had your background bloods checked by the MW just in case it is one of those weird deficiency cravings?

BlossomCat Tue 29-Mar-16 16:02:08

If it's the texture you're craving, how about alphabet sweets? I'm on my phone so not the best link in the world, but I love the texture of these, just brush your teeth! www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=alphabet+sweets&tag=hydrukspg-21&index=aps&hvadid=45520143783&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15617909166017526002&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=m&ref=pd_sl_9o4tcpsrvh_e

FreiasBathtub Tue 29-Mar-16 16:09:01

Do you remember the jingle from the old Bodyform advert? I used to sing that to myself frequently in my last trimester, reflecting my general state of mind.

'Mmmm Gaviscon... '

I drank a lot of it. Doesn't seem to have done my DD any noticeable harm!

Sgoinneal Tue 29-Mar-16 16:11:54

I've tried sweets blossom, thanks, including Edinburgh rock and other chalky delights but nothing will quite do. It has to be the horrid chalky wee gaviscon tablets.

Nothing came back on my blood tests, I'm clearly just a bit off altogether!
crunch crunch

Sgoinneal Tue 29-Mar-16 16:12:27

So pleased they aren't terribly dangerous, they are helping my heartburn but the texture is giving me proper joy....

skankingpiglet Tue 29-Mar-16 22:47:43

I wish I was craving them. My heartburn is horrific and I'm getting through gallons of Gaviscon, but it's disgusting and swallowing it makes my gag. The tablets are worse, I'm picking it out of my teeth for hours after eating one sad

To answer your question, I'm sure it's fine. In both my last pregnancy and this I should have bought shares I've drunk so much. DD is definitely fine despite my 'habit' and it certainly hasn't affected this ones ability to hoof me in the bladder all day and night, so I'm assuming all is well there too.

Sgoinneal Tue 29-Mar-16 23:18:54

I remember having heartburn at the end last time skankingpiglet but I'm literally crunching them like sweets at points... And then yes picking them out of my teeth. My head knows it's gross, my pregnancy-addled palate is loving it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now