Talk

Advanced search

Restless legs? Help!

(12 Posts)
5minutestobed Tue 29-Mar-16 13:13:37

I'm 32+4 and for the last two days my restless legs have got so much worse. I didn't sleep at all last night and I'm trying to sleep now and I still can't fall asleep as my legs are so fidgety and sore.
Has anyone found anything that helps?! I have a toddler to look after too I can't keep going like this.
I'm on iron tablets for anemia, I've tried hot water bottle, cool pad thing, tonic water, banana, paracetamol. Any other suggestions?!

RestlessLegsCure Tue 29-Mar-16 13:30:23

Two things are guaranteed to work for me - foot and leg massage (doesn't work if I attempt this myself) or orgasm. blush

Sgoinneal Tue 29-Mar-16 13:31:55

I posted last week with same issue and got lots of great advice. www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2596102-Cant-fucking-sleep-a-rant

On top of these I've found completely cutting out caffeine (and I mean decaf everything, including tea) seems to have cut it down, not completely, but it's helped.

I treated myself to a bottle of Clarins energizing emulsion for legs (about £25 unfortunately) and some wee body shop cotton socks, DH has been slathering my calves and feet before bed and while it isn't curing anything it makes me feel a bit better. Body shop also do foot sprays and stuff which I wasn't keen on but I know others swear by.

I feel for you, it is grim.

Sgoinneal Tue 29-Mar-16 13:32:54

shock restlesslegscure will need to mention that one to DH after the sexy leg-slathering grin

MaisieDotes Tue 29-Mar-16 13:35:48

I came on to say extra iron but you're already on tablets.

Hmm. Being tired always makes it worse so poor you if you can't sleep. Vicious circle.

restless did you name change for that comment tbugrin

5minutestobed Tue 29-Mar-16 13:40:54

Restless I have tried both of those things with no luck!
Will have a look at your thread Sgoinneal Thanks. I will be very sad if I have to give up my decaff tea though!!

Sgoinneal Tue 29-Mar-16 13:44:05

As long as the tea is decaf you're ok 5mins, I was still having a very occasional can of Diet Coke or non decaf tea (AM only!) and that made it so much worse.

5minutestobed Tue 29-Mar-16 13:47:09

Oh that's ok then, I don't drink caffeine anyway so can't give that up!

Sgoinneal Tue 29-Mar-16 13:47:49

Oh! And I did find reading was a good distraction - not Internet as it's too busy but a book on my kindle just allowed me to ignore the legs for ten minutes and drop off.

RestlessLegsCure Tue 29-Mar-16 15:49:24

I may have name changed for my earlier post (which is silly I know!)

Sorry to hear that neither of my suggestions works for you 5minutes I still suffer occasionally from restless legs but it was much worse when I was pregnant and remember how awful it was not being able to sleep because of it.

My DH was fairly sympathetic but refused to believe that restless legs was actually a real thing for ages. He was a lot more interested when I found a website which mentioned orgasm so as a potential "cure".

I have a feeling that there was also something about minerals & vitamins (other than iron) being useful in reducing the severity of restless legs but I'm not having any luck finding it at the moment.

5minutestobed Tue 29-Mar-16 16:02:36

I have bought some Epsom salts for my bath after reading online that it might help. Will report back!

RestlessLegsCure Tue 29-Mar-16 16:09:22

Still can't find the website I was thinking of but a quick Google suggests that the vitamin & minerals I was thinking of are vitamin D, magnesium and calcium. I certainly suffered more in my second pregnancy when I wasn't so obsessive about taking a prenatal supplement.

Hope that you find something that helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now