Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Swelling and extreme thirst

(11 Posts)
Ellarose85 Mon 28-Mar-16 09:21:45

I'm 24 weeks with DC2 and have been really thirsty all the time for a while, yesterday my hands began to swell a lot so much so that my rings got stuck!

Is this normal? I never had this with DC1.

I've also felt extremely achey and generally rubbish, not sure if this is linked.

Thought I would ask opinions before I contact my midwife.

OliveOi Mon 28-Mar-16 09:37:08

Those could all be possible symptoms of pre-eclampsia - get medical attention ASAP to get yourself checked over!
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pre-eclampsia/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

CottonSock Mon 28-Mar-16 09:39:03

Definitely agree ring your midwife emergency number just in case

AbiBranning Mon 28-Mar-16 09:40:25

Pls ring midwife.

Idefix Mon 28-Mar-16 09:42:35

Are you able to call a midwife today? I don't want to worry you but the symptoms sound like those of gestational diabetes.

8FencingWire Mon 28-Mar-16 09:45:17

Seek medical help asap please smile

strawberrypenguin Mon 28-Mar-16 09:46:37

Call your midwife or the on call. Sudden swelling should always be checked.

Ellarose85 Mon 28-Mar-16 09:56:48

I've called my local midwife unit who have told me to rest, drink more and take some paracetamol then to call them back in a couple of hours.

Thank you for all your advice.

Graceymac Mon 28-Mar-16 10:01:07

You should get a no test and a urinalysis to check for protein. I had pre-eclampsia twice so I know what I am talking about. They also should rule out gestational diabetes with the thirst.

Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 28-Mar-16 10:03:56

That is symptoms of gestational diabetes. How many weeks are you? Is there any way you can be referred for a GTT? (Glucose tolerance rest)

Graceymac Mon 28-Mar-16 10:06:17

Sorry BP test

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now