Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

CMPA

(14 Posts)
rubyrooster Sun 27-Mar-16 22:51:05

So we are trying for another baby.

My baby boy has CMPA and suffered quite badly from birth.

It also came apparent that I also am intolerant to milk. But never really knew because didn't have it much.

Have people been in this position and fed their new baby 'normal' milk or started with special milk. This is a big worry of mine as I don't want the baby to suffer like my Lb did.

Thanks for your time. X

confusedlilly Sun 27-Mar-16 22:54:01

My dd is cmpa, I am planning to feed dc2 normal formula in the hope that if they are cmpa aswell it will get picked up a lot quicker than it did with dd. Took me 4 months of battling with gps etc to get referrals and prescription formula. X

rubyrooster Sun 27-Mar-16 22:57:22

Is that what you have been advised or just what you are happy with ? Are you intolerant/ allergic to milk or just your lo?

Thank you for your reply xx

confusedlilly Sun 27-Mar-16 23:01:24

It's what I have decided to do, my older brother was cmpa as a child and me & my sister aren't so I'm hoping that maybe dc2 wont be. But we shall see.

Its only my dd that is cmpa, I am fine as his her dad.

pamplem0usse Mon 28-Mar-16 15:47:09

My ds is cmpa (as well as a lot of things he's seem at great Ormond street) pretty sure dd was too with hindsight but grown out of it (but coeliac) now preg with dd2 and will get the shock of my life if she has no allergies. I think you just have to be heartened by the fact you now know what you're looking for. I plan to bf and will feed dd for a week then switch to dairy free myself and compare and contrast. I'll be asking for an immediate referral to a tertiary hospital if I have any suspicions but thats because my local unit was bloody useless!

TheCrumpettyTree Mon 28-Mar-16 18:20:15

My ds has a cmpa but my second doesn't. I fed him normally. I was told by the allergy consultant that the risk of the second child having it was really low.

rubyrooster Mon 28-Mar-16 21:26:13

Thank you all for your replies.

It has given me some reassurance that the next one may not have it. Thank you xx

Ifiwasabadger Mon 28-Mar-16 21:33:36

Mine was cmpa and we fed her the aptamil hypoallergenic. I would try and go for a speiclaised formula if you can.

StrawberryLeaf Mon 28-Mar-16 21:59:54

DD1 has cmpi, she was breastfed and I was dairy free during that time.

While pregnant I spoke to the doctor about going dairy free in preparation for feeding dd2. The doc said not to assume dd2 would be the same, to feed normally but the difference is I would know a lot quicker if there was a problem.

Dd2 has no allergies or intolerances (phew!)

Carrie1990 Sun 10-Apr-16 05:20:50

Hiya
When my little girl was a baby she would constantly throw up after feeds and would constantly be screaming doctors said reflux but I always thought if was more than that has excma and asthma too. She's now nearly three and keeps breaking out in severe excma and rashes and says she has a tummy out so the Drs now think she has cmpa and we have been advised to cut out her main dairy intake (this been milk and yoghurts) however should we cut all dairy out such as butter etc we kind of feel like we've just been sent away for 2-3 months to deal with this until we see dietician in 2-3 months. Also do this found like cmpa to you?
Sorry about the long post!
Thank you
Carrie x

TheCrumpettyTree Sun 10-Apr-16 20:30:37

You'd be better off posting rhis in the allergy section.

However if they think it's a cmpa then yes you should cut out all dairy. This includes yoghurt and butter. Vitalite and Pure are alternative dairy free butters and taste fine. Alpro are soya based yoghurts. There is a 40% chance you can also be allergic to soya as the proteins are similar. Although my children aren't allergic to soya so have soya milk.

Have you got creams for the eczema? I found the GP wasn't very helpful and we saw a dermatologist who was brilliant and my DS's skin was clear within days of using steroids and emollient creams and emollients in the bath.

Carrie1990 Sun 10-Apr-16 20:46:47

Thanx for the reply yea we have tried several creams but nothing seems to work! I will cut out all dairy then we just feel like the Drs ent really much help and we've kind of got to figure it all out now ourselves with no professionals for up to 3 months x

TheCrumpettyTree Sun 10-Apr-16 22:42:59

What creams have you tried? 3 months is a long time to wait. Are they not referring for allergy testing or even to see a dermatologist? We saw both.

Carrie1990 Mon 11-Apr-16 06:31:02

We've tried aqueous, oilatum,dermol, double base gel and several steroids. No we've not bend referred to anyone x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now