Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Walk in or hospital?

(8 Posts)
99percentchocolate Sun 27-Mar-16 12:31:50

I'm 33 weeks pregnant.
I've had a really terrible cold since Mother's Day but in the last few days I've been feeling awful. Unbearable headache, nausea, stomach pains, dizziness and feeling faint (I actually fell over yesterday but didn't lose consciousness).
Saw my GP last week who diagnosed sinusitis (the pain was in my face on one side and I had all the lovely gunk) and gave me antibiotics. These seemed to help for a couple of days but yesterday I got the same pain on the other side of my face but without any gunk and I've got this terrible headache, nausea, dizziness, etc.
My family are terrified of PE so jump to this conclusion any time I'm feeling off at all. I've already been checked out once a couple of weeks ago for PE and was fine. Midwife said i was just run down and needed to rest.
I feel like I'm wasting everyone's time if I go to the hospital like everyone is insisting as I'm pretty sure it's just this awful sinusitis taking a while to clear.
The only thing that's making me question it is that I've been on amoxicillin for a few days now and I seem to be feeling worse after the initial two days of improvement and I'm not getting all of the gunk that I was originally on the other side of my face.
DP is also insisting on the hospital and keeps asking if I've phoned yet - he is usually quite laid back about stuff but he seems to be concerned.
Wwyd?

99percentchocolate Sun 27-Mar-16 12:43:53

Bump

Leirope Sun 27-Mar-16 12:52:56

I'd call NHS Direct and tell them everything you've said here, they can be really useful for things like this. Otherwise call your GP first thing tomorrow morning or the out of hours service today. Hopefully it's nothing serious, but these are good places to get some advice and reassurance.

MadameJosephine Sun 27-Mar-16 12:53:01

Phone the hospital, let them check you over. That's what they are there for (I'm a midwife)

99percentchocolate Sun 27-Mar-16 12:56:18

Thank you. Mum has just reminded me that we have a family member who is a paramedic so going to get a BP check from them and if BP is normal for me then will try my GP as soon as they open on Tuesday if still feeling bad. If BP is anything other than normal then I'll go straight to hospital.
Thank you

Slothlikesundays Sun 27-Mar-16 13:48:33

There is a lot of flu around at the moment. Phone the midwives just to be safe.

99percentchocolate Sun 27-Mar-16 15:24:23

BP normal so as I'm feeling a bit better this afternoon just going to take each hour as it comes and ring if I start feeling worse. Pretty sure it's this nasty cold/flu thing that's going around.

CityMole Sun 27-Mar-16 17:00:29

Amoxicillin is very broad spectrum as an antiobiotic and although it is often the first choice of drug, it doesn't always work, so you might just need a different antiobiotic. Are you also rinsing your sinuses ( sterimar spray is good, as is the neilmed sinus flush)? Steaming is also helpful in clearing them out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now